Dingwall Players, What Preamps Are You Using?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growlngrind, Apr 10, 2004.

1. I have a Dingwall Afterburner with FD-1 pickups and passive electronics, and I have been looking to get a crisper slap tone when I need it. After reading up on the forums and taking advice from my previous posts, I believe what I am looking for is a good outboard preamp like the Fodera Model 2000, J-Retro, Bassbone, etc.

I am looking for something fairly transparent, because I don't want to drastically change my tone. This is the case with my Sansamp BDDI, so I have that area covered allready. Most importantly, I would like to have a mid control for slap playing, which the Sansamp does not have.

I play a wide variety of music, but my main gig is a contemporary Christian Rock/Pop band. In my spare time, I go for a funk/rock sound along the lines of Flea, Claypool, Trujillo, etc.

Have any of you Dingwall players or dealers tried using your basses with any outboard preamps? If so, what are your impressions and recommendations?
  2. Growl,

I sell Dingwalls, but only the higher-end Z and Prima series.
    No need to run these through a pre-amp, since they have active electronics and the onboard pre is just awesome.

However, I agree with SMASH. Of all the preamps I've tried, I prefer the Aguilar. Transparent? Not really; but who cares?
    I DID set my Dinger Z-1 to passive mode, however, and ran it through an Aguilar DB 924.......Oh, Mama !!! I can only assume that it would do the same thing to an AB-1. Hope that helps a bit.

3. SMASH and Randy,

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'd say the Aguilar would be a nice match, since the OBP-1 is what Sheldon is putting in the new Afterburner IIs with good results. I believe the outboard version is basically the same circuit, is it not?

I would like to try one out sometime soon, as well as the Sadowsky and the Fodera. Those seem to be the ones with the best reviews and are pretty tried and true. I may just keep an eye on ebay for used ones, buy all three, and decide then. The Basstasters website has been helpful, but I want to hear them through my rig with my bass. :bassist:
  4. I've seen Dingwalls w/ Bart preamps, Detmer preamp, and Aggie Ob2s and 3's. They all work and sound great. But uncolored? sound not sure that exists.
    I've left my Afterburner passive and I'll agree that I don't think they really need a pre. However your looking for a crisper slap tone, so you might want to a) add a pre or b) leave it passive and dial in a crisper tone w/ your amps setting.
    One thing to consider to is use your series setting, and if you have BlueEQube active it and dial in mid treble.
  5. Thanks Frank,

I know this may be a silly question, but which way is the blueEQube actually activated? I usually play with the knob pulled out, but I have never figured out which is which. Also, which setting is series? I usually use one click up from the solo bridge for slapping.

I agree that the Afterburner does not need a preamp, because it sounds great. I am looking to use the preamp more as an effect that I can switch in and out, like my Sansamp.
  6. I am not exactly sure how the AB I is wired, but I am going to assume that pulling out activates it. On my Prima it is on a toggle switch, so I can't say for sure. I suppose you could figure it out by listening to which sound is scooped sounding relative to the other.

7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Control pulled out-BluEQube disengaged...pushed down, it's on. The level at which the pot is adjusted is the midcut.
  8. Thanks a bunch! I have never really messed with it that much. I have allways trated it like a passive tone knob and left it wide open. I will play with it and see what I can get.
  9. martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    the really cool thing about the aguilar obp1 is that with the bass and treble boost set to zero, you essentially have an absolutely uncoloured sound... for instance, if anyone out there has an ABII with the obp1 and the active passive switch, turn off the controls, and then play a little bit while switching between active and passive... i've done this quite a bit, and to my ears cannot hear any difference whatsoever. I wonder then, if you aren't boosting any signal when the tone ctrls are at zero, are you drawing less power from the batteries?

on the topic of outboard preamps, I heard friend play a Z2 through an SVT and an 8X10 cabinet, and a day later play the same bass through an Ampeg SVP - Stewart World 1.2... because it was a day apart I had trouble making a real comparison, but the SVP preamp was out of this world for slapping.... if you're looking at spending some real cash, I'd look into that... it has a bunch more controls than the outboard OBP1 which may or may not suit your fancy... but as soon as I can afford one, it'll be on order (or I'll probably try to pick up a used one somewhere....)

take care...

Jeff Martens-Koop
  10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

This is regular parrallel setting. Series is one click after the neck pickup ;)

11. Jeff, SMASH, and JP, thanks for the info and suggestions you guys.

I found the info that came with my bass last night, and right there it was, the instructions on how to use my controls :p I usually get so excited when I get something new that I often fail to read the instructions. I began playing with the blueEQube a little, with good results so far. It will take me a little while to find the sweet spot, which will be easier when I play it through my main rig.

I have just made a trade for the Fodera Model 2000 and should have it by this weekend. I will try to post a review of it elsewhere here on TB.
  12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Growlngrind, the best way to hear the effect of the bluEQube is to pop the upper 3 strings. If the effect is too subtle, there is likely a resistor inline with the bluEQube that could be taken out to up it's effectiveness. A 25K or 50K trim pot could also be installed in place of the resistor to adjust it to taste.

I've only installed one or two Basslines pre-amps and don't remember how they were for noise or transparency. To the best of my knowledge they are the only pre-amp with an active slap contour so are also worth considering.
  13. Always good to talk to THE MAN himself, eh Growl? I love it. Try THAT with a Fender or Modulus. No offense to lovers of those fine basses, and they are fine indeed. But the personal touch of a consult with the luthier is a compelling reason to buy a "boutique" bass. Not to mention the fact that Dingers kick major boo-tay !!!! :)

Thanks for the comment, Sheldon.

14. Now thats customer support!

Thanks Sheldon,

I would prefer not to modify my bass at all if I don't have to. I agree with others who have described these basses as not needing active electronics. I was mainly looking at an outboard preamp. As far as transparency goes, I guess what I am trying to avoid is the heavy coloration I get from the Sansamp. A little coloration is fine with me as I am mainly looking to use it as an effect.The Fodera I have coming has a footswitchable mid control as well as an on/off switch. I also need to explore the abilities of the bluEQube more. I just discovered that I did not know how to use it properly, so there is a whole new avenue for me to explore. :)

I guess what I should have specified more is that I am very happy with the tone and performance of my setup as is. I mainly play fingerstyle rock and contemporary Christian, and my setup with the Afterburner, Ashdown head, and Bergantino cabs nails it perfectly. I could not ask for a better sounding setup or a better playing bass! Every once in a while I like to use a more hifi slap sound. However, this is not the Ashdown's main strength. When I used this bass with SWR heads and cabs, it was as crisp as I could ever want, but their gear did not have the oompf I was looking for. What I am going for with the outboard preamp is a more modern slap sound that I can cut on and off and off when needed while maintaining the normal signal chain I use for most of my playing. For this reason, I have also ordered the tweeter and crossover necessary to upgrade one of my cabinets. When I get the tweeter, I may decide I dont even need the preamp. In conclusion, I believe my issue is one of gear combination and has nothing to do with the performance of my bass, which left me wanting nothing until I did some switching of amplification.

Sorry for rambling on you guys. I think I must have a little too much free time on my hands. I never get this picky about my gear, unless I am not getting to play as much :p
  15. martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    mr growl: I noticed that you said you played contemporary christian music... in the same post you said that you need the oompf from your bergantino and ashdown (if I remember correctly). do you play at concerts and shows, or in church? just curious as to how much oompf you can get away with and not offend the older generation...

how loud do you play? do you generally mic your speaker cab or go direct, or both, or use just the power from your cab to fill the room...

just curious... I know its off topic, but I figured since you were here...

jeff mk
  16. Good point Jeff,

Actually our church band plays in the gymnasium, so its a pretty good sized room. My amp is my monitor and also caries most of the bass for the mix. I usually run a direct line out of my head, but our sound man usually leaves me turned down in the mains, because my stuff carries so well. Our early service is almost all younger people, and they like the volume. The older members prefer the late service with the choir and all that.

I was actually refering to my old SWR rig with the oompf thing. I never had a volume problem with my SWR gear at all. They just did not have what I was looking for in the low end. I was looking for more of a chunky growling low end, which is just what I get out of the Ashdown. I also wanted to size down from the rack, 410, and 115 rig I was using. The Berg 112s are the perfect balance between size and sound. I can fit my whole setup in the front seat of my Nissan pickup with me in it!

Church is my main gig right now, but I also do pick-up gigs around town that call for a more classic bass sound, again the Ashdown does it. The Dingwall is extremely versitile as well and I use it for everything I do. Now I have come to the point where I am just fine tuning things, because I have an excellent platform to work from. But here is where it gets frustrating.

I guess I should be doing more studying and less yaking and nitpicking over my gear:D It is just nice to have a place like TB where kindred spirits can come together and chat about bass stuff. Most of the bass players around where I live are just filling the spot and are not into it like I am.
  17. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Thank you Randy. I've been hearing great things about you and your store.

Growlngrind, I'll have to look into that Fodera pre-amp. That sounds pretty cool. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out.
  18. You got it Sheldon! By the way, I got a chance to really play with the bluEQube through my main rig. OH MAN !, I don't know how I have missed it for so long. There it was, the slap sound I have been looking for! The preamp may not be necessary at all now, but I'll still give it a whirl and let you know how it sounds. By using different combinations of shape, EQ, and drive on my head, plus different pickup and bluEQube settings, I am able to get just about any sound I want now! I can't wait untill my tweeter gets here, 'cause I know its really going to shine then. :hyper:

:D Now I love this bass even more ! :D

PS: Randy, I agree, they "kick major boo-tay" with authority and style !

PS: I think Bill Brasky plays a Dingwall (for SNL fans) ;)
  19. Hey guys,

I just recieved my Fodera Model 2000 preamp this morning! I tried it out setting my amp flat and running it into the main input. I also ran it before my Sansamp in the same way and did some initial comparisons with the Dingwall. Right now I can say that it is very sweet and works nicely in both configurations. And, compared to the Sansamp it had much more gain in all of the similar parameters(ie. master, bass, and treble). Of course it is 18V verses the Sansamp's 9V.

Playing with the mid control, I found that I liked the sound of the bluEQube engaged better than the mid cut of the Fodera for slapping. However, with the bluEQube disengaged and a slight mid boost on the Fodera, the bridge pickup gets a really nice cutting jazz/funk sound. So far, I think this will make a nice addition to my pedal board!

I am getting ready to start cramming for my next exam block, so I won't have a lot of time to really play with it for the next two weeks. If you guys will tell me the best place to put it, I will post a thorough review of the Model 2000 and comparison to the SABDDI in several configurations when I get finished. In the meantime, I will have the tweeter installed in my Berg 112, so I will be able to cover every little nuance of their sounds.