Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    What do you approach 'hand positioning' when playing fingerstyle relative to the bridge?

I ask because I prefer to play fairly close to the bridge to get a tighter tone and I'm not sure how that would work with the way the Dingwall's bridge is slanted.

2. I play both on top of the bridge pickup and the neck pickup at times. I tend to move somewhat toward the neck as I move to higher strings. Basically I'm just keeping my hand more or less centered over whichever pickup. It's not an issue at all really.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Someone posted about this over on the Dingwall message board...I don't usually play by the bridge, but I can, and keep my hand slightly canted to match the bridge angle.

4. i dont usually play by the bridge but if I do its usually on the lower strings, but high strings aren't awkard to play on near the bridge

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    When I dont float my thumb, I will often rest my thumb on the front pickup and kinda angle my wrist a bit. My fingers will actually be playing over the bridge pickup, even though my thumb is anchored on the neck pup.

6. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I usually rest my thumb on the B string or on the neck pup and play "normally." The only time I have to slide my hand forward to match the bridge angle is when I'm playing with a pick. Under 'moderate' playing I don't have to move forward that much, but when I'm playing heavily and really digging in to get a tight sound out of the lower strings I'll rest my hand on top of the bridge pieces behind the saddle screws. That is when I have to be conscious of moving my hand forward as I hit the upper strings.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The "sweetspot" for plucking does move a little as you move to higher strings, whether you're playing near the bridge for "tightness" or closer to the neck for a boomier tone. But it's not really a big deal; when I'm playing live, absolutely immaculate tone isn't usually neccessary, and when recording it's no big deal to sit down and summon the undivided attention required to play every note "just so".

Even my "regular" basses sound more consistent string-to-string if I pluck a little closer to the neck on the higher strings, a little closer to the bridge on the lower strings.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks people for the feedback.

On my SR5, I usually play over the bridge side pole pieces of the PUP and get the tight tone I like.

The only time I get a little closer to the bridge is on the 'B' string.

I need to spend some more time on a Dingwall to see how all this works.

I usually anchor my forearm at a certain point on the body of the bass and have minimal hand float -- walking my thumb from the PUP to higher strings depending on what string I'm plucking.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Feel free to give me a PM, your more than welcome to come over on a weekend and play mine as much as you like to see how things go for you. I play like crap, so wont be any reason to be intimidated or not want to play. Ill set you up in my back room and you can be alone :)

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Very gracious of you -- I'll try to find some free time and let you know.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I'va always wanted to know how they sound when doing slap and how much do you have to modify your technique.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I don't slap more than once or twice a night when we're playing out, but do goof about a bit at home and practice with slapping, and I can tell ya that there's NO change in technique.

Soundwise, it's great, those FD3's are excellent pickups and since the Dingwall is so nicely tonally balanced the slap sound is 'full range' and tight.