Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Prima 5 Artist series bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FCM3, Jan 30, 2004.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yes...this thing is just gorgeous!!

If I had to buy a bass, it would defnitely be a similar Dingwall :)

Peace, JP

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow indeed! Looks like Geoff's bass has a brother.

3. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Hoooooooooooly Craaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!!!!!

I thought the photo in yor message was cool, but the ones on Bass Northwest's site are outstanding!! Hmmm, do I really need my car :meh:

I'd only seen the Dingwall Afterburners b4 but haven't had a chance to play one, what's with the Prima? Anybody tried it yet?

I don't get the joke about the pdf, am I missing somthing?

4. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    :oops: OOOPs, nevermind, I found the PDF. Very cool.

5. Well, I own that same bass, only in a 6 string format. It's pretty good, I guess. ;)

(You can see some pictures at the link in my signature.)

Geoff

6. That's just rediculous. There ought to be laws against things like that.

7. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Now you're messing with me :crying:

8. Beautiful bass.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Is that right?

10. I spoke to Sheldon and that is the "ONLY" other redwood burl Dingwall (besides Geoff's 6 stringer).

I've been told that the bass has the Dingwall tone really dialed in. Someone please go play it and give us unfortunate few a full report :crying:

frank

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How do you feel about having an "exact copy" of your custom bass out there? (Even though its made by the same lutheir, I assume your 6 was the first and you picked the woods etc?)

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Interesting that if you go to the bassnw site, to the .pdf and then up a level, you end up in the images folder. Mixed in with the pics for the html page are a few pics of Geoff's sixer! (unless there's another six out there! :eek: )

13. hummmm interesting.
    I just went back to Bassnw site and the page the Prima artist is on is different than it originally was. In fact the first time i saw this bass the Bassnw page had a mixture of 5-er photos and 6er photos (hence the reason why Geoff's 6er photos were in the file).
    In fact some posters over at HCBF even made mention of the mix-up
    I'm pretty sure Geoffs 6-er is the "only" prima artist in redwood burl

frank

14. Mark,
    It doesn't really matter to me. My 6 was the first, though the final wood selection came mostly at Sheldon's suggestion. I can definitely see why he would want to produce another bass like this, or why BassNW would want one like it to sell.

Geoff

15. Well obviously I'm just overreacting to the most beautiful bass on the planet. Seriously. But I don't think at $7130 (I know, it's list) I'll ever be playing it. :bawl:

Anyone want to buy my Roscoe? It's on special for $6000.

(just think of me as really sarcastic :rolleyes: )

Stay low mates!

BT

16. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Hey guys, you are correct, a photo of Geoff's bass got accidentally sent to Evan at BassNW. That was corrected the next day.

The other question regarding this as being a knock off of Geoff's 6 is a good point even though upon closer inspection they are quite different (beyond the same body wood combinations). I never considered this aspect and should have run it past Geoff first. Geoff I hope you're sincerely cool with this. If not, let me know and I'll make it up to you.

Pretty much all of our models and most of our options started out as custom requests.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sorry, I didnt mean to imply any impropriety on your part Sheldon. Certainly as the maker of the bass you have the right to turn it into a mass produced korean bass if you want ;) .

I had a similar situation happen with a custom bass I had made where it became a bit of a "standard" model (not that im implying that this will happen either!) and just wanted to gets Geoff's thoughts on it. Isn't imitation the ultimate flattery? :D

18. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    No worries Mark. All points of view are encouraged :)

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i have some experience with custom instruments - all my basses are customs, and quite a few people have "exact copies" of quite a few of them. personally, i'm quite flattered. it says a lot about my ideas and decisions if other folks are willing to spend a lot of money to have something just like them.

i didn't get them to be the only kid on the block that had them. i got them to serve a purpose, and it's a testament to that purpose that other folks wish to follow suit.