dingwall question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jp1994, Dec 29, 2004.

1. anyone here have (or have you tried) a Dingwall (specifically an Afterburner ) with the fanned frets?

How is it to get used to?

Do ( or did ) you like it?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Do a search and you will find it discussed quite frequently, but I'm also sure many of the players on this board will still chime in to answer you, They LOVE to tell you how easy it is to make the transition. I can't wait till I can try one out for myself. I'm almost thinking of buyin one even without trying it first due to all the great comments by the TB Owners.

BTW JP, Where are you in Western Mass? I live in Agawam (born in Westfield, work in Springfield)
  3. 1) The fanned frets are easy to get used to. I played one at Bass Central, and also a Prima (top of the line Dingwall).

2) I ordered one yesterday and it should be here next Wednesday. Does that answer your question? :)
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I was looking at those too. The fanned frets make sense, those Prima's look sweet. What's the price on those about 3 G's?
  5. Unfortunately I don't know the selling price but it's probably
    3 grand and up. I tried several high end basses while at Bass Central - F bass, Roscoe, Lakland but it was the Dingwall Prima that really left an impression.

I could buy a Prima if I wanted but something about owning a bass that pricey makes me uneasy. Kind of silly really but there you go.
  6. I'm old, cranky, and set in my ways. It took me about .06seconds to be comfortable with the fanned frets on an Afterburner I 5 er that Gard handed me. I immediately fell in love with Dingers! But then the Evil Gard handed me an Elrick Platinum Classic 5, no fanned frets but very seductive indeed. Of couse the high end Elrick is much more expensive than an AB, but only a little more than a Prima. It all boils down to you, play it, and if it speaks to you, buy it. Don't worry about the frets, you won't even notice. The things that make a bass just right for one person, might be just the things that make wrong for some one else.

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I've played pretty much every dingwall model and they are all spectacular basses, best B ive ever played. the only thing I didnt like was there high end wasnt twangy enough for me.
    great basses though.
  8. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    AB1 owner here. The fanned frets are no sweat at all, and the feel of the neck is one of the comfiest I've ever played. Build quality is top-notch. I suppose if you do some really complex, fast tapping things it might take some adjustment, but in normal playing there ain't nothin' to it. Slap sound of these basses is KILLER, although the space between the neck and the neck pickup is a little tighter than some basses. Doesn't really cause me any problems, though.
  9. thanks to all for your input
  10. I was a bit curious on how easy it is to play chords with the fanned fret system? Does it make it more challenging, or do your fingers tend to fall into a more natural position when fretting several notes at once?