Dingwall requesting sound file advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sheldon D., Feb 26, 2004.

1. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Sheldon Dingwall here. It's time for one of our bicentennial website updates. If I could, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on sound samples.

We've been meaning to add sound files to our website for a while. Amongst ourselves we've discussed ideas as simple as just playing the open strings and letting them ring, to as complex as what's being done over on www.basstasters.com (this is a very cool site by the way).

What do players want to hear?

Just the raw sound of each pickup and wood combination with no EQ?

Some with EQ? The files add up pretty quick.

What styles?

Is direct to sound card OK?

Here’s a link to a couple of quick and dirty, direct to sound card ones we did a couple of nights ago.

Any thoughts on where we should take this or what you'd like to hear - besides using someone who can actually play bass :rolleyes: would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002

I would like to see (hear) a few seconds of individual open strings and them maybe a little lick or two with the different pickup/wood combinations. Open strings don't give the full representation of what the Dingwall's sound is like IMHO. Gotta slap it around a bit to get the full effect so to speak. I would lean towards no Eq for both. I would be more than happy to record some sound bits....................but I'm the idiot who dropped his Prima and it is now in your shop getting fixed! :crying:

(aka: Rick) :D

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...was gonna sell mine but changed my mind...it's a keeper, no others like it...

PS: What's up Sheldon!
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi Sheldon.

I think you should do a combination of a few things (if it's possible). First, the open strings, then a scale or a neat lick, and if you can, it would be cool to be able to hear the basses in action with a group. Either way though, whichever thing you choose to play, it should be the same for every model, for comparison's sake.

I love your basses, by the way. Keep up the good work and some day when I have a few extra bucks I'll be giving you a call! :cool:

EDIT:There's a TB member... I think his user name is xush or something. He has a website where he has some sound clips of his FBB basses, with many different combinations of the pickups, etc. It might be worth checking out for ideas.
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Sheldon- i have always thought that pure output of the bass direct to digital would probably best represent the results of the output jack of the bass- so in theory, one could burn a cd of the file, plug in a cd player to the amp, and pretty much get close to what the bass sounds like without it being there- internal eq is cool- i dont use external eq- i am demoing the bass, not the preamp ( unless its onboard-) and i think most players want to hear a riff or two, fingerstyle and slap- pretty much like you did.. also, sometimes its cool to show it off in the context in which it will be used, as in a small clip with at least a drum groove, but maybe along side a loop-- just my .02 -
    great basses,
    I am a fan...Adrian
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i would like to hear little melody pieces with drone notes all over the place, scale diddys and such. maybe some funk finger stuff with other instruments would be cool also. there great basses, ive played barry lambs and there quite nice, almost bought one too. :)
  7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I like hear diffent styles of playing, most sound clips are just slap, i'd like to hear some nice groove in the mix, and not a groove played with a slap setting that doesn't even count. Work the bass eq, odds are most people aren't just going to plug and play so I think the eq should be used.
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I listened to the sound samples that you already did. What I would do is prehaps is a mix of both of them in one sample. Both the samples are more than long enough to hear what the bass can do, so what I would do is combine them both into one clip. Do some fingerstyle stuff, then go to slap, so one gets a range of what the bass can do in one file. If one style or the other sounds best with a specific pickup combination or some mild eq variation, you could just note those changes in the sample description. Anyway, that's my $0.02...
  9. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hi Sheldon,
    I think the sound clips you have up now are fine and I agree with what other people have said about different styles. What might be nice, but not necessary, is have sound clips of songs where a dingwall is being used. Even though the bass 9 times out of 10 is going through some huge samoflange studio piece, it'll still sound like a dingwall and it will (hopefully) give a good impression of how dingwalls sound in the mix.

I, like devilman, have been toying with the idea of selling my dingwall..but i've still not played a bass that feels better. I'm still GASing for that ABII Fretless..stupid financial obligations always getting in the way of new gear :/
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd like to hear the tonal range of the instrument from both the pickups and the eq, starting with all flat, with plucking and slapping. so, flat, pluck and slap, front pickup eq flat pluck and slap, rear pickup pluck and slap, extreme eq both pickups even pluck and slap.
  11. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Hey Rick, thanks for chiming in. We're making great progress on your bass, the body's been recoated, the new picups are wound and I'll be working on the matching shells and knobs early next week. :)
  12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    OK, that's just brilliant! Can we use that idea? We'll give you credit.
  13. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Devilman and Dirty Road Cola, it's good to hear that you're hanging onto your basses. We're proud to have you as customers.

Thanks to all for the excellent ideas - keep'em coming.

I think what's interesting is that I was expecting a widely diverse set of opinions which can make decisions harder. It seems like all the suggestions so far are pretty compatible with each other.
  14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I, for one, would like to hear the neck pup soloed fingerstyle, and both pups blended fingerstyle.
  15. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Whoo Hooo! :D :bassist: Can't wait to see it!
  16. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    You don't take pictures of a bass by setting it in a corner and snapping a shot. Why take a picture of the sound that way.

When taking a picture you make sure to have the best lighting to show us the best of each bass. I say use the EQ to show us the best the bass can be. Sure you'll want to have some of the clip with the EQ flat, but not all of it - what help would that be if I'm trying to decide between a passive and active model.

Also, I don't think that you should cover the sound up with 'verbs and chorus, but I would suggest using good recording equipment so we can get a good listen at what the bass sounds like. Some sound cards sound like an audio version of a disposealbe camera.

I hope this helps. Feel free to disagree.

17. munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    OK, I finely get to hear one of these beasts :)

all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

What soundcard were you using? Is that a protools rig?

I love the BAsstasters site too. It's pretty interesting to compare the basses on that site to the Dingwall.
  18. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Protools - ha, ha, I put off doing any recording for a long time because I don't own a hip sound card and software. Too many other needs tugging at my wallet :meh:

These were just slap together tests with an old Soundblaster PCI and some freeware software from Anvil. For what we are trying to do, I think this will work OK.

Regarding comparing our samples to the Basstaster ones, I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison either way.
  19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I personally support what JT said about offering each p-up soloed with no EQ then blended with no eq, then each p-up soloed with EQ then blended with EQ. It would be more time consuming, but I personally think that would show the entire tonal range of the bass as must as possible in a group of 20 second sound clips.

I also like familiar tunes to be played (such as the "Play That Funky Music" slap tune on the site now ;) :D) just because it makes it a little bit more fun to listen to :D
  20. SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Just a thought, and I know this is both time consuming and a hassle, but...

What about keeping the clips on the website fairly simple, open strings and a scale or simple lick with no EQ, for comparisons sake. But make available (for a small handling fee?) a CD with longer clips and more variations (with and without EQ, etc). If you point out the trick of hooking up a CD player to your rig, a serious prospective buyer would probably be willing to drop a few bucks to cut down on the unknowns.
    But then again, what do I know.