1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Super J colors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Hey guys,
    What do you think of this combo? Purple Burgundy mist, Baltic Amber pick guard and maple neck with matching head stock. You can check it out in the Super J gallery on his web site.

Thanks!

2. That will look great but with a 5th string :ninja:

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    With purple burgundy and maple fretboard, I think I'd go white pearl for the pickguard, with black pearl a distant second. I'm not crazy about the amber or tortoiseshell with the purple, which is one of my favorite finishes on the Super J. With the morado board, it would be white or black pearl. Check out Smallequestrian's in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284608&highlight=dingwall+super+j

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Thanks for the link to that thread. For some reason that Baltic Amber guard works for me, maybe I need to see one in the flesh to really know.

5. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, the Super J gallery is really cool, but seeing the real deal is probably quite different. The burgundy with black pearl guard would have never occurred to me, but I really dig it based on the one in that thread. If you haven't already, you should go over to the Dudepit, and check out the Dude's Dingwall photo gallery there in the Dingwall forum. Maybe that will give some ideas:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Thedudepit/Dingwall Basses/

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    OK, I'm on my way to the pit. Thanks!

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    As the creative genius behind the Purple Burgundy Mist and owner of the one and only so far made, I feel it is my duty to congratulate you on your fine taste in colour.

I actually really like the baltic amber pickguard. I almost want to buy another Super J, just for the sake of having one with that pickguard. That being said, the guard only woks on Natural, Black, Olympic White, Bronze Age and to a lesser extent Sunburst, and Supersonic Blue. Feel free to go with the Baltic Amber on PBM, but I think White Pearl, Tort or Black Pearl is the way to go.

The most killer Super J combo to me is really the Olympic White/Baltic Amber one though.

8. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Also, for those that are interested, you should check out the really cool Super J interactive gallery that Sheldon put up recently. One of the only uses of Flash that I find useful.

Super J Gallery

9. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Well, congratulations to you on having that gorgeous Super J! I agree with your views on the pickguards, though I'm not sure I'd go with amber on Supersonic Blue.

Check out this Olympic White one with amber:

http://www.basses-electric-acoustic.com/rickturner/dingwall.html

Think I might be all gaseous about a Super J? :D I'm thinking Supersonic Blue, morado, black pearl guard, matching 'stock, P/J pickups.

10. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    My friend just picked that White one up on trade from that store. He also has one very similar to the one you described, just without the matching headstock. His Supersonic Blue is what made me decide to buy one.

11. does anyone know if there will ever be a super j 5er? if so i'd be all over an olympic white one.

12. Yes there will be a SuperJ 5.
    When-you ask????
    Current rumors (esp from Sheldon) is first quarter07.

13. Does anyone know if you can get the baltic amber pickguard material to make your own? It'd be completely ridiculous on my jazz.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wow, that pickguard material is awesome. I'm with Derek- anybody know where a fella can get some of that?

Anyway, I actually think the purple and the amber might be really cool. Of course, there's a lot of potential for something really, extremely ugly, but I'd say go for it. I don't imagine it'd be that hard, or that costly, to have the pickguard replaced if it doesn't work out.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I don't really like the baltic amber pickguard against burgandy mist. White pearloid does it for me.

16. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    www.pickguards.us has the material.

17. Thank you sooo much. It'll have to be a post x-mas self present.

18. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm probably in a minority here, but I think the Super-J looks best in the most conventional / traditional Fender jazz color schemes: sunburst or olympic white + tort or natural + black. I find that using those traditional colors accentuates the "new spin on an old idea" theme that the Super-J is all about.

The purple burgundy mist does absolutely nothing for me.

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    The mixed opinions on this color combo make me even more interested in it. Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go stare at the Super J gallery some more.