SOLD Dingwall Super P/J -- None more awesome

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kittyboy, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    This is one of the finest basses I've ever played, let alone owned.

The only reason I'm letting it go is that I own two and can't justify keeping both...although I would if I could!

This is the older model, with the battery under the pickguard. Also worth noting is that the older models have slightly narrower necks and different wiring of the bridge pickup--parallel for the older model, series for the newer. The pickups themselves are the same.

The older neck (this bass) is on the narrow size of jazz width; the newer neck is on the wider side of jazz width. Pickup-wise, the older model is more transparent, the newer model is a bit darker. Both have tremendous tonal/eq range and variety, and both take external eq and fx brilliantly.

I favor very dark old-skool sounds and while both basses can get this sound, the older model offers a lot of transparency and clarity that I don't ever use--I prefer the darker vibe of the newer model's series wiring.

Neck-wise it's a real toss up. I love the narrowness of this older neck and probably prefer it to the newer model, although both are awesome. I toyed with the idea of having Mike Lull swap out the two necks, but have decided against it in order to leave both basses in their original configuration as Sheldon (Dingwall) designed them. IMO these are among the best basses money can buy (at any price) and I don't want to tamper with the maker's intention...

The bass is beautiful and nearly immaculate. There are light marks on the pickguard and that's about it. I'm relatively fussy, and if I received this bass new from the factory I wouldn't bat an eye, (except for the light marks on the guard perhaps). It's very very clean. The guard by the way is baltic amber--an upgrade. The bass is gorgeous, and a very comfortable weight, somewhere in the 8lb range.

If you haven't played a Dingwall yet, well, what can I tell you...

The fanned-fret thing becomes second-nature within minutes and quickly becomes (in my case at least) more comfortable than parallel frets. The balance, feel, and vibe is refined and wonderful. The sound is extremely versatile and exceptionally responsive to the player's intention--moreso than any other make of bass I've ever played. I love this bass so much that I had to have another one with the new wiring, and if I could afford to keep both I would. My search for the ultimate bass has ended with Dingwall (for the forseeable future at least)--maybe yours will too?

I'm holding out for cash on this one, although I'd consider partial trade for a Wizzy cab or possibly an acme b-1, newer series.

The only item that would undermine my conversion of this bass to cash would be...a Dingwall Super J (or super P/J) 5-er.

$2000 shipped, includes OHSC and original manual.

2. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    wow, wish I had the coin for this.
    What are the E-G scale lengths on this one?

3. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    E is 34, G is 32 I believe...very easy to play and unusually even volume and response from string to string...

4. I want this. Can't afford it, but I WANT it!!:scowl:

5. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    ttt

6. Bump for ya here and on the Dingwall forum. If it was red it would be mine!
    Good luck.

7. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    OMG never seen one of these before..amazing finish! Good Luck selling, if I wasn't logged with basses I'd consider this fine axe!

8. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    thanks for the bumps fellas...

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    One super great bass. I own one similar to this and it's not going anywhere

10. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    ttt

11. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I'd love this!
    If my bass sells soon, I'll snatch it up.. Very good deal, plus I've never seen one with a PJ before

12. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Macungie, PA
    must admit, I'm jonesing for this. if it were a different finish........

13. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The natural finish is beautiful IMO...

14. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    smokin' bass. If only I had the money and/or the skills to justify purchasing this beast....

15. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    All PMs replied.

Not much interest in any trades besides the ones mentioned in my listing: wizzy, acme b-1, or another dingwall, either a Super J 5'er or maybe a super J/J...

16. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    and bump

17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Wow, SMOKIN' deal here! IMHO, this is the ultimate Jazz-inspired bass, period. Somebody's gonna be a real happy camper when this finds a new home... :cool:

18. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Bump!

19. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    lots of inquiries, still available...

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I played a Super J recently. Very nice,light, easy to play
    and string balance is very even. The fan frets are easy to get use to
    although the upper runs threw me off a bit but the neck was a dream.
    Sheldon has done some wonderful engineering on his basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.