Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sactobassman5, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Anyone out there find some strings that fit on these dingwall's??.
    I have had some bad luck with the A string breaking. and they (dingwall brand) strings don't last very long like my favorites DR low riders.
  2. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001

Sheldon Dingwall here, I hope you don't mind me responding on an open forum.

Breaking A strings is usually a symptom of a high action setting at the bridge. We have a shim available that will slip under your A saddle (if it's a Dingwall saddle - not the Kahler ones) so that you can lower the riser screws. This will let you run the action as you like with less stress on the string at the witness point. We also have shims available that will raise the entire bridge plate there by improving the life of all your strings. Since the bridge plate is sunk into the body, this type of shim is hidden from view. Contact me directly and I can send one out for you to try.

Regarding DR strings, we get inquiries from time to time, so I gave them a call this morning to see what was available. Anthony Corona in sales was very helpful. Here is a list of strings they offer that should work. As with most long scale strings, these would need to be special ordered through a music store. (this is a good test to see how much they want your business)

Long scale Hi-beams (40" winding length)
    # LMR 5-45 plus an XR-125

Lo-riders don't come in a 40" winding length, but they do make a couple of Lo-rider 40" B-string singles:
    # 5-BS-HXL-125 (.125")
    # 5-BS-HXL-130 (.130")

These could be combined with a standard 4-string set.
    # MH45 or # EH50

We will be sampling these strings soon and can post the results.
  3. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Sheldon the MAN! Good to see you here!

I've got a Voodoo 5, never broken a string, and find the strings last as long (if not longer) than other brands on other basses. Not a minimization of sacto's problem, but thought I'd chime in with a different opinion.

Great basses and great strings!

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,

I have been using DR HI-Beams on my Prima 5 for 3yrs. now & they are beautiful! I don't like DR's Low-Beam series strings on anything I own, however, they are an outstanding company with great assistance & quality to boot(as is Sheldon @ Dingwall) & I recommend anybody(DingZ2) with such a beauty, try these strings!

5. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    LowRanger and Devilman.

Thanks for your input and kind words.
  6. Thanks for the suggestion Devilman. I will try them on my next string change, if I can find some nearby. On the note of the topic, I have used several sets of the Dingwall strings on my Z2 5 String and have found them comparable to any other strings I have ever used. They are just impossible to comeby out here unless I order them from the other side of the country. I probably will not pick up any more until I pick up my 6 string in the (expected) late summer or so when I go back out west.

Sheldon, thanks for the listing of strings to try. I will see if I can get a hold of a set to try. In the past I have looked for a B long enough, but have never seen one, and when I've asked the guys at the stores really had no idea what might work.