Dingwall vs. Warwick vs. Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wyman, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Hey guys! I've been playing a Yamaha RBX for the past few months, and am finally ready to move up to a 5er. I'm looking for a pretty woody sound, but still be punchy and able to sound good slapped. I've been looking at Dingwall's Afterburner, and am kinda sketched out by the fanned frets; hoping to try one this Wedensday. Everything else, though, seems incredible. I'd probably have ordered one w/out playing it if it weren't for the fanned frets :p Also looked at the Warwick Corvette Standard. Seems pretty nice. I haven't played one that much, so I can't judge it's tone, but from what everyone says, they're sound is nice. So far I have no complaints about them. My other choice is a Spector. I haven't looked into these much, so I can't judge them at all. I kinda was impressed by the Euro 5, but again I haven't tried it yet. Money isn't really an issue, but I'd like to stay between $1000 and 1500 US. Any other suggestions are great too!

I'm pretty taken by this Dingwall, but I'd like to hear some people's opinions on these basses before I try one out and get all biased :p Thanks guys!
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    warwicks have a nice woody sound and good slap, but dingwall in my opinion is the better all around bass. high end isnt great for slap but its still quite nice
  3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    if you are comfortable playing bass, it will take you all of two minutes to get used to the fanned frets. plus the 37" B is the best B string i have ever played ever. serioulsy the warwick corvette standards suck a lot of butt. euro spectors are ok but not good IMO. for the money, the dingwall is WAY worth it.
  4. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    ^^ Thanks :)

Is it hard to play certain riffs on the Dingwall, though? The only one that comes to mind is the fast arpeggio section in C.Thump. I don't know the exact time it starts in the song, but I'll explain it :p It's right after he slows down, and just kinda improvs on arpeggios. Than, it stops for a beat or so, and he does this awesome line using the same chord changes. It's really fun to play, and sounds sooo cool. Anyways, you have to have most of your index finger against the fretboard to play it; are things like that tricky/impossible on fanned frets?
  5. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Thanks Browne! :D That's a pretty frank response :p

Does the Afterburner beat out a Cort Curbow or a Conklin? (NO, I didn't bring those two up because of all the "C's" :) )
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cort Curbow = not really good

Conklin = good but i think the Afterburner is nicer.
  7. I have to say by a mile. The Dingwall Afterburner is built here in Saskatoon. I've been to the shop while Sheldon's been building them and I'd have to say that as far as craftsmanship, the Dingwall is by far the better. IMO the sound is better too, but YMMV.

8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    depending on the conklin. say a bill dickens model 7 imo is better. the standard groove tools models aren't as good. every cort i have played has had a B string that gave me more air than note. it was a nice bass, but the B was not good at all.

My buddy owns a series II dingwall 6 string and he has no problem chording or playing arpegios at all. i doubt he can play C. thump though. he can however play pseudo Yngwie Malmsteen type stuff. he was never into wooten that much. dont ask me why but he is weird like that. incredible bassist though.
  9. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Alright...thanks guys! That really kinda puts everything in perspective :D Only problem now is finding one to try :-/
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Dingwall, dude.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Funny thing about opinions... :rollno:
  12. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I like the dingwalls a lot. I mean, it's true that does make Thump in C a little more difficult, but I can't remember the last time anyone wanted to hear me play that either. So, if you can switch basses for all the self indulgent stuff, then follow leland sklar's tip and go with the dingwald.

13. if you spend some time playing them I think you will find that all three are very different basses and you should be able to decide which one you like the best.

the best advice is to not overthink the decision just go with what plays and sounds the best to you. all three and great quality basses. I've never played a Dingwall myself but I have heard nothing but good things about them and I love the looks.

14. indeed! although my slant is more towards the Spectors! :)
  15. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I've played all three, and though I REALLY liked the Dingwall Afterburner it is a very close call with the Spector. Try them both before you make your choice.... :bassist:
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Oh, you meant to say "kick a lot of butt", right? ;)
    Mine at least does; it also is very nice - both looks and tone-wise. But I didnt have as much options here as you have there, and Ws here are way cheaper than most other basses.

The Novax fanned fret system has intrigued me for a while, but they are not available here; so if you can find one, go and try it!
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 Dingwall....search my user name for sales pitch hehehe
  18. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    +1 , my friend :D
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Oh and dont let fanned frets scare you even for a second. Its more of a visual issue than a physical one and you'll be suprised how little it matters to your playing, and how much it affects your sound (in a good way hehe).
  20. Dingwall versus Spector versus Warwick? Sounds like a Mike Kroeger wannabe. I can't say much about Dingwall, but Spector and Warwick both have their own sound. Warwick is deep down growl, whereas the spector is fairly punchy and fat. My thumb has a fairly flat neck, and my spector thru neck is a big fat broom neck, but the newer spectors seem to have a different, slightly flatter neck profile.