dingwall. where they at?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 20, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    where can i find a new/used dingwall?
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    bass central keeps some dingwalls in stock. Unfortunately, they rarely turn up used.
  3. Try the Dudepit

Under the Gear for Sale section, there's a Dingwall Super J for sale for $1699 shipped. It may not be what you're looking for, but check it out...it's a great looking bass...
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I got mine at Bass Central, they have some exclusives w/ Dingwall.
  5. Bass Northwest has a couple of nice ones in stock right now.
  6. great question.
    Dingwall are a rare breed, Sheldon makes about 7-10 AbI /month, usually in a batch and I suspect every one of them is committed somewhere. The question is who has them.

Sheldon has a list of distributors on his website, I'd say Axe music in canada frequently has ABI, and ABIIs, and a high end one or so
    Stateside, check w/ basscentral, guitarX (in denver) and bassnw.
    As for used one, they pop up occasionaly on the 'bay, the bottomline list, and here. Expect a used AB1 to sell for 1000-1500.
    Also check out
    its Sheldon webforum, you'll see more Dingwall drool than you'll ever wanna see

TALBASS- are you sure about the price?? that a full 1.5G less than what Sheldon asks (according to the dude the Retail is $3,203)
  7. sagryf1

Oct 23, 2004
    Check with Terry Granier @ Cabinets Unlimited, 23430 Eden Street, Plaquemine, La 70764 (225-687-7533). Just bought a very nice AB II with an really nicely figured pomele top from him. Nice guy to deal with and is an authorized dealer for Dingwalls.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its true that Dingwalls don't show up used very often, and in my mind that's a good thing...along with the resale value being extremely high in comparison to other bass builds.

They do show up with fair regularity on eBay, like one every month or two...and there have been some happy online buyers from the feedback on the Dingwall message board.

I believe the biggest dealer in the US is BassCentral, and they treated me well, minus a bit of confusion in the middle of the transaction. BassNW was 'special order' for Dingwalls when I checked and the quoted me 4-8 weeks for an Afterburner. The pricing between the two were roughly the same.

I would also suggest Talking to Rod @ AXE Music in Edmonton CA. He offered a great deal to me on an Afterburner and is very accomodating. He also has kept contact with new Dingwall product when he gets them. I believe he is one of Sheldon's oldest dealers and I know he sees stuff you might not find in other places. If you check out the Buckeye thread, you'll find his posting and you could send him a PM.

Also you should talk to Steve 'Dude' Barr. He's one of the newest dealers of Dingwalls, and has a very strong base of customers who have nothing but good things to say about his service and prices.

Last of all, good luck, friend...you're on the right track to one of the best bass experiences in the world.
  9. There's been too much Dingwall talk lately. I am having a GAS overload. First Sheldon sends me an email with the new Super J colours and then there's the new Prima Artists. So then I send Sheldon an email so that I can go down to the shop and check out Jeff Martens-Koop's Prima Artist when it's done. Sheldon won't be content until I make another deposit. :p
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yup. I know what you mean... I actually intentionally stirred the pot a bit with the buckeye Prima Artist because it's been quiet here on the fanned fret front for a while.

I'm sitting on my hands a bit about my new one and haven't been getting sleepless nights over it, but that could change with all this talk. I don't want to get too worked up yet, since I'm pretty sure that work hasn't even begun on my Zebra yet!
  11. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i think i want to join the dingwall club. i'm really in the market for something higher end. my ibanez is a great back up, but its tone just isn't what i want all the time.

i really need to try before i buy though, especially for a bass. an amp is one thing, but i really wish i could get a dingwall in my hands.

anyone have one and live near middletown, nj? i'd pay to try one out. haha
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    If you want to drive about 8-12 hours north and cross a border, you can try my two Afterburners.