1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Aug 11, 2007.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a 4 string Dingwall Afterburner l and was wondering if they make good daily players?

I tried one in April at Ed Roman's place while in Vegas and was quite impressed. I found the fanned frets fairly easy to navigate. I assume it gets easier the longer you spend with it...

So, is this a work horse bass?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dingwall makes great stuff that I think is every bit as rugged as a Fender. Whether or not you want to play fanned frets on a daily basis is up to you.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
  4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Why wouldn't they be daily players? I've never played another bass that was lighter on the shoulder, less fatiguing to the fretting hand (fanned frets are about more than great tone...ergonomics), and better sounding. Very diverse options for passive pickups too. I think you would be ecstatic to play one every day. Its not something you get tired of.

5. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I never thought about the ergonomics of the fanned frets. I'll do some research on that.

The overall sound of the passive electronics is what surprised me the most.

6. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    I was lucky enough to play a Dingwall here in the UK a couple of weeks ago. Seeing photos of them, the fanned frets look as though they're going to be really difficult to get on with. However 10 seconds after sitting down with one, I was wondering what I had been so worried about. Effortless to play and from the player possition you don't really notice the fanning. Might get a bit tricky if you're going to be playing chords on the low strings above the 12th fret but otherwise I found I adjusted almost instantly. If I was playing more fretted bass, I would definitely be considering one as a future bass purchase.

7. bburk

bburk

Jul 24, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    There's something I've always wondered about the fanned frets. Doesn't the tone change fairly dramatically from string to string due to the fact that you play closer to the bridge on the higher strings?

Obviously string to string tone variation is something that every bass has (due the string size and intonation) but it just seems like it would be more pronounced on a fanned fret bass. Personally, I like to play lower strings closer to the bridge for a bit more punch and 'tightness' and the higher ones (slightly) more toward the neck to avoid a thinner sound.

Do you fanned fret players have to adjust right hand technique to compensate for this?

8. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I've read that a lot of guys pluck following the pu angles. I kinda do too.

Once you start playing FF's you'll make all the adjustments naturally, nothing major though.

9. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Dingwall's are more consistant in tone across the strings than any other bass I've tried.

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I own 12 Dingwalls and another 30+ basses (most are on the highest end). The Dingwalls are the ones with most even sound across the board and across the strings

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'll take these one at a time...

No the tone doesn't change dramtically as you would think. Actually, the tone from string to string is remarkably consistent. Moreso than on any bass I have ever played. Its weird to have a low B that punches as hard and as clear as an A string on a regular bass. But, its not all about the low B its great sounding from low C to double-high G.

The biggest adjustment for me was, actually right-hand technique since I pick between the pickups. It wasn't a terrible adjustment to make, I actually let my thumb float along the edge of the neck pickup and my fingers just went where they were supposed to. It is an adjustment, but it was worth the comfort for my left hand.

Speaking of which, if you pretend to have a bass in your hands, move your down where you think the first fret would be and look at the direction of your fingers. Chances are your fingers are at about a 45* angle pointing away from you, not straight up and down. Note how that corresponds to the angle of the fanned frets. You can do the same thing with your fingers around where frets 17-21 would be, this time they are likely facing towards you. Look at the fanned frets again. That is how the ergonomics come in. The fanned frets follow the shape your hands naturally take when moving up and down the fretboard. I also happen to think its why the 37" scale on the low B is more comfortable than a lot of manufacturer's 35" scale, non-fanned fingerboard.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

The ONLY time I put down the fanned frets for a traditional fingerboard is when I play 3 chord notes above 12, period. IMO the fanned frets sound and feel better/more even from string to string for 99% of what I play.

13. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Dingwalls are made in saskatoon, saskatchewan, canada. 3 hours from where I live. i should try to get a factory tour.

14. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    When I was playing parallel fretted/fretless basses I was always checking in to the setup repair and the strings section of TB. I was looking for a magical blend of balanced strings and a way to get the B string to play and sound like the rest of the bass.

I never check into those areas now that I've committed to fanned frets. The fanning fixes all those problems. IMHO Sheldon has perfected it.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    True, but the fanned frets also allow for chords that would otherwise be more difficult to do on traditional basses.

16. I'd love to try one...but they are hard to find..and man are they expensive. Although the price doesn't scare me...I just wanna try one!!!

Dan

17. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    No longer looking...Thanks.

MOD's, feel free to close this thread.