Dingwallers out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeterF, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I live in Green Bay WI. Anybody within 100 or so miles of here with a Dingwall I could talk with you about and or play? No dealers for several hundred miles from here.
  2. Peter- while i live about 2500 miles away, there are a few of us who you can talk to.
    Second, places like basscentral and bassnw.com have 2 or 3 days trial periods, should you not like the bass you return it.
    what specifially are you looking for an Afterburner or high end Z2, or prima
  3. At this point, I'd like to just lay hand on the fanned fretboard. My budget/need would be for an Afterburner 1 or II if I could find a nice used one. Is there quite a lot more versatility in the AB IIs or is an AB I sufficient for rock/blues/jazz and the occasional reggae?

Also, I've never heard a bass with a "soft maple" body. Dingwalls website claims it's similiar to alder. Do you agree?
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey Peter, like Frank above (FCM3), I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. I own an AB-I myself. I have never played an alder body so I can't answer that question for you really. However, you can hear sound clips of the bass in my profile songs if you like, or here is a link to some sound clips of the FD-3 p'ups.

I've found the AB-I to be plenty versatile with a great loud passive tone. Dingwall p'ups are really hot and rival a lot of actives already. I have not played an active one to compare the tonal possibilities though.

If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Peter, I was in your place a few months ago. I had been saving for a Z1 with all the trimmings, when a used mint AB1 showed up on Ebay. Since I had never tested a "fannie", I went for the AB1, and stole it for $1300 . It's a great bass and has adequate tone options for your needs.

I haven't regretted the purchase, though I still have a little GAS for a higher-end Dingwall, and I wonder how much better that ABII or Z1 could possibly be. But the AB1 is PLENTY of bass, and it's what I call "gig-expendable". If my $1300 bass gets toppled over on stage, bitten by a low ceiling, creased by a cymbal, etc., I won't cry about it.
  6. peter-
    The fanned freboard will be NO problem what so ever to get accustomed to, its purely a visual distraction. What most people find is that the scale length might get them. Otherwise going from a 34" scale fender to the Dingwall AB was a smooth transition.
    What i find whenever a new player trys out my Dingwall is they cant get over how even the string to string tension is and how articulate the notes are...all across the fretboard. Not one of them has made any comments on any difficulty playing the bass, infact most saying they were suprised at how easy it was.
    According to sheldon the ABII and the higher end Dingwalls has more complexity to their tone, and of course active electronics. I played a Z1 many moons back (5+ yrs) and recall its had many useful tones, but to compare it to my current ABI- can't say.
    Unlike rockindoc, if my ABI crashed on stage or got smacked, I'd cry-
    these are great basses for the money and the ABI is plenty capable of fitting into your music
  7. I'll echo what the others have said. The ABI is a lot of bass. It is a very nice playing and sounding instrument. You get the essentials of what Dingwalls are in them.

The higher end basses get you into things like improved aesthetics (IMO), active electronics, the more solid bridge, angled headstock, and then the options. Things like wood options, preamp options, different fingerboards, etc.
  8. What's really getting me going right now is this bass.
  9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sheldon has made some fine instruments over the years, and that has to be one of my all time favorites. Is it owned by anyone here on TB (so I know who to be jealous of...)?
  10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    ...Rockindoc lets his Texas Redneck Bravado guard down... OK, I admit it, I'd cry too, :bawl:, briefly. But I'd mourn for weeks if it were a $3500 Dingwall in Redwood Lace Burl.
  11. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Rockindoc reaches for the GAS shutoff valve
  12. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    The two are interchangeable if you know how to select your woods. For the last year or so Alder has been easier to get than Western Soft Maple, so almost all ABI's have been alder.

My good friend Steve Cherne was living in Green Bay. He's playing with a Detroit band (http://www.ariessmile.com/) now so he may have moved. He's got a couple of ABI's and a Z1. If they're ever playing in your area I'm sure he'd love to talk to you.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yo PeterF!!
    I've had this Dingwall maybe for 8 years now and have been relatively GAS free since!!Anything Dingwall going to put his name on(literally in some cases) is going to be top notch classic that will stand on it's own throught the test of time. Just buy one!! I've upgraded mine, not because I felt it was outdated, but because the Bartolini preamp finally quit. The OBP-3/Dingwall combo has ALL the sounds ANYONE is going to need for the styles of music you play..
  14. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

This is the nicest quilt top I have seen in a LONG time......one of the "Premium Grade" tops....and the dark amberburst finish works very well with this bass. You could almost swim in the quilt top on this bass.........

Attached Files:

15. Those are some amazing tops on the Z2.

Rockin Doc- i doubt that Geoff's redwoodlace burl Z1 was $3500USD. Considering Bassnw were sellin cousins of that bass for 7grand
    I be crying alot....
  16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    All quilt maple is soft maple. Pedulla MVP and Buzz bodies, and Spectors also I think, are made of it.
  17. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
  18. I would love to try a Dingwall, or any fanned fret bass or that matter.
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Jauqo III-X lives in Chicago and has a Dingwall, maybe if you ask him real nice he would let you check it out Foxfirebass :)
  20. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Is there anyone near Jacksonville, Florida? MAE down south sells them; gotta be some Floridians around here sumwherz...