Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwalls in my Spector?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sargebaker, Feb 28, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I've been wanting to replace the EMG HZs in my Spector Legend 6 with a better passive pickup for ages now, and it just seems that nobody makes any that fit. I got in touch with Dingwall and he said that his model with wood pickup covers would fit...thing is the set is $400 CAD + Shipping (which isn't outrageous) I'm just not sure if it's worth investing that kind of money into the bass, thats like 2/5ths of what I paid for the bass right there... plus I've already dumped another 150$ or so on 2 ramps, a switch and other various work. I know I'm going to get alot of, "only you can decide do what you feel" responses, I'm just wondering what some of your opinions are on the situation.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They're truly great pickups. I love the hell outta mine. I can't say how your bass will effect their tone, but they're high output and can sound both vintage and active depending upon the setting. They're fairly well balanced across a wide tonal spectrum.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, Dingwall pickups are awesome. That said, $400 is a lot of money any way you slice it, and I probably wouldn't pay it. You might see if Pete Skjold offers his for sale. I got to hear some of his basses recently and they sounded fantastic.

Btw, I think I have an idea of who makes Skjold's pickups.... but I'm not telling :smug:.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I already checked with Pete, Unfortunately the only way to get his pickups are to buy one of his basses, which I wouldn't mind personally, but my bank account sure would.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I never tried Dingwall pickups so I can't really make a helpful comment. However, I do think the HZs get a lot of unwarranted flak. I often miss the HZ sound I got from my Spector.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    agreed, they don't sound like crap, I can get usable tones out of them, and even good ones, they just have REALLY low output without the preamp and I believe my tone could be better...

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    anyone else have any opinions/ideas?

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you asked Sheldon about pickups without the wood covers? It seems to me that whas he is asking is a very fair price for pickups and covers. You may be able to save some money by dropping the wood covers.

You could also look into some Nordstrand split coil humbuckers, but again, you are getting into similar money (when you take the wood pickup covers out of the equation).

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    it was like 375 or so without the wood covers. He said however that they are a little smaller without and wont fit exactly. I thought of Nordstrands too but they aren't the same size as the EMG 45s

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gotcha. Well, I would strongly suspect that Sheldon's pickups are going to sound mack daddy, and for just $25 more to get wood covers, that sounds very fair to me. How well do you like the Spector otherwise?

Tom.

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I can't argue the looks, playability or feel. The finish dents and marks VERY easily though but that doesn't bother me tons.

12. I'm actually thinking of replacing the p'ups in my Spector Legend 5, so if you end up getting the Dingwall p'ups put in let me know, as I'd be very curious to hear your opinions.

Also, have you replaced the preamp, or is that later down the road? I don't know what I want to do with that either.

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I had an active/passive switch installed, if the Dingwalls go in, I'll take out the preamp completely and have Vol, Blend, Tone configuration. Or MAYBE put in an Aguilar preamp but I really prefer passive basses.