1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dinosaur Chorus Pedal ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gus Borden, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hey all you TB'ers...

Has anyone ever heard of the "Dinosaur Chorus Pedal"?

If so, are they any good? Furthermore, how do they hold up with bass?

Thanks - Gus

2. I found this.

http://www.dinosauramps.com/l-dch1.htm

It looks like a super cheapo Boss clone that didn't even bother to include all the knobs. I would say stay far away, but for the price, it might be worth it just to confirm such suspicions.

3. That website says the freq response is 70HZ to 5kHZ. That's probably no good for bass.

4. Thanks guys, I am on the hunt for a good, diverse chorus pedal - saw the Dinosaur pedal and it was more a case of morbid curiosity. But... I would be interested in feedback and opinion... I love the Analog Man Chorus, but it is just a bit too rich for my blood these days (maybe someday, but not for now). So I have this short list of chorus pedals (no particular order) I am looking at - opinions on the clear winner?

Visual Sound V2 Series V2LC Liquid Chorus
    Rocktron Tsunami Chorus
    Guyatone Micro Chorus
    Marshall Regenerator Chorus

For a more complete picture:
    The other pedals I am running...
    Electronix MX Submarine, Electronix MessDrive Hybrid +, Foxrox Octron...
    Basses - 'Wick 'Vette + Thumb
    Amp - GK MB2-500 into my Dr. Bass 1580 3-way cab

Thanks - Again

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    what's your budget? i dont want to tempt you and give you a super expensive pedal suggestion.

6. $120 or below.

7. I like the Boss CEB-3 bass chorus- it's pretty subtle, & lets a good clean bass fundamental come through, avoiding boomy mud-tone. I have an 80s vintage Pearl Chorus that is quite different from most choruses I've used; it gets very pitch-shifty/vibrato-esque at higher settings. I'd offer to sell it to you but it's really not your average chorus so I don't know what you'd think of it.

8. I have the H2O, and I like it a lot. I will warn you, though, it can suck some of your volume out in certain settings. If you get it dialed in right, though, it sounds fantastic. I was about ready to ditch mine, but at my last practice I fiddled with it for a while, and I got KILLER sounds out of the chorus and delay sides.

9. I also use and love my boss CEB-3. Admittedly though i have little experience with any other chorus pedals and i picked up mine at a local music shop for $40 on a whim. I liked it a lot and it has been on my board ever since.

10. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    You won't find a better chorus for that money than the Modtone Aqua Chorus. Rocktron Deep Blue also very good though it's a much bigger box.

11. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    also try to look at the Boss ce-5 and the BBE mind bender if you want an analog type.

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Get the Boss CE-5 or Hardwire CR-7. That is all.

(soundclips of both in my Chronicle of Effects thread)

13. I had a Tsunami, and wasn't impressed. It was ok, but I just couldn't find a sound that I was looking for. Nicely made, the first one I had did nothing. lights came on but no change in sound, called Rocktron up and the sent me a new one right away.

Since they let me keep the old one, I am toying with using it as BYOC.

14. Stratocasper

Stratocasper

Sep 22, 2012
    I bought one for 20 bucks and within a month it was broke.

15. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    MXR Analog Chorus. It appears to be what the CE-5 used to be - analog. Add the reliability of MXR pedals, and the fact that it can be had for a c-note, and you're in business. The Stereo Chorus, also by MXR, costs a bit more, but may be more up your stra├če. Both are very good pedals. The Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, the chorus side of the H2O, is another very good option. The H2O is itself a great pedal. I almost traded my Clone Theory for it, were it not for a Roland Jazz Chorus, which, unless you find some miracle price, is out of your budget.

16. I own the MXR Analog Chorus, and I highly reccomend it. It's really a versatile pedal, although many find it sounds just a bit "80's."

17. Love my Boss CEB-3, really fits with my band's music (we play originals, post-rock ala sigur ros or mono)

It retains the lows well, doesn't interfere with my 2 guitarists, which love to use modulation effects as well

18. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Another CEB-3 fan here. I love the "low filter" knob, which lets you dial in the frequency at which the chorusing begins, allowing you to let your low end through unaffected.

19. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I run a Guyatone MC-3 in my current rig and I absolutely love it. Then again, I'm a sucker for the Guyatone little analog pedals, but I get a crazy sound from it. Not really all that natural sounding, but much more of a "confident" tone than what I experienced with the Boss CEB. I didn't like the Boss at all. I'd also recommend the EHX Small Clone if you can find a cheap used one, they're great!

20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I had the Marshall RG-1 on my bass pedalboard for a while and really liked the concept of having a few effects in a single standard size pedal. I liked both chorus modes, but felt its vintage chorus felt a little warmer (to my ears). No low-end or volume loss and it being reasonably tweakable made it easy to get good sounds out of it. I still have it (now on my acoustic guitar pedalboard), so should I need to use a smaller bass pedalboard, I would use it without any fears.

I've had a few chorus pedals (CEB-3, EHX Neo Clone and SM in addition to the RG-1) before settling on the MXR Stereo Chorus. This one totally killed my gas chorus.

EDIT: I checked out the Dinosaur link. You should have no problem finding something else within your budget, including both afore-mentionned Boss pedals and the RG-1