1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dinosaur Jr. "Freak Scene" flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 40Hz_of_Love, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I think the title explains it all - I'm looking for a bass friendly flanger that will make this jet sound as seen in "The Year Punk Broke" movie.

For reference:

Thanks in advance!

2. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like Van Halen's MXR to me.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's using an EH Electric Mistress.

Were they making the Van Halen model flanger back then?

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This is no help to your flanger search, but Dinosaur Jr. is awesome.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Lou Barlow is a genius :D

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Both of his songs on the new album, "Back to Your Heart" and "Lightning Bulb" are highlights. Then again, the whole album is really good.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I didn't even know they got back together. I guess I should take a listen to it. I was speaking mostly of his post-Dinosaur stuff like Folk Implosion and Sebadoh.

8. Come on, people! I want to do this flanger sound! :D

...and MXR Flanger is a tad too expensive...

...and Electric Mistress isn't even available in shops around here...

Any cheaper alternatives?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Either get an Electric Mistress through an international dealer, or if you want to try it at a local shop first, just go and try out all the flangers at your local shops. There's no way we can tell you what they have there.

10. hi 40 Hz,

you could order the electric mistress from either thomann.de or musicstore.de, I've dealt with both shops before and they are ok. and Germany - Poland shouldn't be too much shipping, and since you're in the EU now, no taxes!

take care

11. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not the EVH model, but the MXR Flanger that Van Halen used, a la "And the Cradle Will Rock".