Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, The Fog

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by darcy, Mar 24, 2005.

1. darcy

Jun 10, 2003
    What was used for effects/pedals on the early Dinosaur Jr. & Sebadoh recordings?..Also -- you used a pick when you toured with J Mascis -- what were you using for picks?
  2. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Watt was never in Dinosaur Jr. or Sebadoh, I think he used Purple Dunlop picks with The Fog.
  3. darcy

Jun 10, 2003
    I know he wasn't in the other acts; they each have a familiar distorted bass sound -- how do they get it?
  4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I only played w/j mascis + the fog (2000-2001) though we did do some dinosaur songs. j had me use a pick (first time in seventeen years!) and I used the kind he did, they said "baked goods" on them. they were pretty thick.

for effects and other info, check here:

on bass, watt
  5. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I saw Sebadoh once around 1992ish and as I recall, Jason was playing through a Rat pedal into some kind of Peavey combo with a tweeter added. That's all I remember as far as the gear went. Jesus, I can't remember half of what I did last week, why do I remember that?
  6. Jason L. with Sebadoh generally played a Gibson Thunderbird the five times I saw the band live. Also had some kind of fuzz pedal for some of the heavier tunes. Don't know much else about his rig, though.
  7. darcy

Jun 10, 2003
    Thank you all (especially for the link, Watt). Watch the original Dinosaur Jr. lineup on the Late Late Show April 15th (www.dinosaurjr.com)