DiPinto Belvedere Basses... any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I've been gassing for one of these http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html
    in black. Are these any good? I'm gassing for a semi-hollow bass, and these have caught my eye. I love the body shape. Bass Player Magazine said they were good. But I wanted to know if any of you have played'em
  2. I played a black and white one at my local shop and liked it. However it is always good to talk to someone who has had one for a while.
  3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I don't really know much about them at all, but this is a cool looking bass ........

And if the pricing is accurate, about $750 +/-
  4. I carefully set aside this post to BUMP
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Oh great.

Now I have to buy one of those, too.

Way to go.

I didn't need this.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    which is gold. I've had it for two years, and I continue to be amazed. I've posted in-depth reviews on Harmony-Central, and mentioned it some posts here, but I'll share a few thoughts. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or just post them here; I'll check back.

The looks are an obvious highlight. Everywhere I go, it gets a reaction, and some have asked me about my "custom" bass.

But the real story is the tone. It is simply huge. The guitarist in my former band said it sounds "like it weighs 1,000 pounds." That's about right. It combines the clarity of single coils with resonance of a semi-hollow, which is unique, and it has very high output. (Mine is higher than some; I hand picked it from about five at the DiPinto shop in Philadelphia.)

The bridge pickup sounds like a Jazz bridge pickup, but maybe a little less nasal. Both pickups produce a big, solid, clear tone that I've used most of the time. It has a little of that "phased" sound of two single coils, as on a Strat in the 2 and 4 positions; but don't worry, it doesn't "quack!" The neck pickup soloed is similar to a P-bass, but of course it's a single coil so it has that extra clarity. It's a deep, powerful tone. With both pickups or just the neck, it has way more punch than a Precision with stock pickup.

Played hard, it definitely growls, and it sounds absolutely gorgeous played high on the fretboard. (I've read this is characteristic of semi-hollow and hollow basses.) Based on limited experience, I think it records well, but not as well as my MIA Fenders IMO.

It sounds great played fingerstyle or with a pick, but as Bass Player noted, it's not easy to slap. It can be done, but it's not well suited to that style. (BTW, I think Bass Player's review accurately describes the tone, and you can read it on DiPinto's site.)

Playability is very good too. It has a Jazz width nut (or something close), so the neck is fairly narrow. It isn't clunky at all. I get some fret buzz above about the seventh fret, but it normally doesn't come through the amp. It has sometimes though. My only gripes are: (1) the back of the neck is painted, and gets sticky sometimes; and (2) on a strap, the low frets are a long reach compared to my Jazz. Neither is a big deal, and this bass accompanies me to almost every gig. I view it as my primary live bass. (But if I can bring only one bass, it's a Fender because I think I'm less likely to break a string with one. I've never broken one on the DiPinto, though.)

In fact, I posted something about it being my "lucky" bass a while back, because for whatever reason my best shows always involve the Belvedere, even if it's just there as a backup.

So, if you're looking at semi-hollows, or just a great vintage type bass with unique character and tone, I urge you to check one out. I'm never parting with mine.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I had one of the gold ones for a short time. I really, really liked how it sounded. IIRC the pickups are single coils and you can get a lot of edge and grind from them, along with a bit of semi-hollow "airiness". There was a lot of character to the sound that reminded me in many ways of my Rumblefish P-J.

It was imported and pretty solid. The hardware was nothing to write home about but it worked. I ended up returning it because I don't much like how basses without a long enough upper horn hang and the neck wasn't quite what I personally go for in dimensions/profile.

But I'm a big supporter of them as a nice value and a good sounding bass. I occasionally think about another one (I'd have to add a "dingus"/strap extended to it) but have avoided revisiting that territory so far.