Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct Bolt-On Mods???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I'm looking into purchasing an SX P bass with a maple neck in the near future so as to ease myself into customizing basses. I'm wanting to replace damn near everything (tuners, pickups, pots, pickguard, bridge, jack(?), strings, and maybe the neck in the future.)

Basically, I want to teach myself how to do all of this with as little help as possible, and was wanting to know what parts are direct bolt on to the SX body???
    -------------------------------------
    Bridges? I was thinking of a BadAss despite having to file the saddles down, but are there any other bolt ons?

Pots? What should I buy when upgrading the pots?

Jack? Should I upgrade this? Does it really matter that much?

Pickguard? Will a standard Fender pickguard bolt on??? ive heard that there are different number of screws to fasten it down with for each.
    --------------------------------------
    Right now, my plans for the rest are Schaller clover leafs for tuners, SDD Quarter-Pounder precision pickup, and warmoth all maple neck if and when needed.

Any suggestions... About anything???

Thanks,
    ~Ryan

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Bridges? I was thinking of a BadAss despite having to file the saddles down, but are there any other bolt ons?

-Badass i belive will fit, personaly i would go with hipshot and just drill the extra holes (personal opinion)

Pots? What should I buy when upgrading the pots?
    -CTS i belive is the brand im trying to think of, there nice

Jack? Should I upgrade this? Does it really matter that much?
    -unless its broke, dont need to.

Pickguard? Will a standard Fender pickguard bolt on??? ive heard that there are different number of screws to fasten it down with for each.

-not quite, but again, its a couple easy holes to make

pups- i lvoe the SD's antiquity series, or lindy fralin. Another nice P bass is the EMG, but you gotta add the battery.

-tuners again im biased towards hipshot ultralight clovers.