Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct Bolt-On Replacement Bridge For Fender MIJ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 15, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I just picked up this bass, and I want to get a new black bridge for it. The one that is currently mounted is a Shaller (a little rusty), but the main problem is that it's mounted crooked, and in order to mount it straight I'd have to re-drill the holes up towards the neck or back further, and I don't really have much space left to work with.

Anyway, I'd like to find something that fits directly in the original holes (which are still there) so I won't need to mess with lining things up, which is the reason I'm asking here. I've seen several bridges out there, but none really say "Direct Fender Replacement" or something like that.

Any recommendations for a decent one? (good sustain without being too bulky)

This is the Bass I have:

[​IMG]

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You need a Leo Quan Bad Ass II bridge. Very easy replacement proceedure.************

MOD EDIT: I HAVE NO IDEA IF THAT COMMENT IS USAGE AGREEMENT COMPLIANT SO I AM REMOVING IT TO BE SURE.

3. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the reply, and also thanks to the mods for moving this post in the correct section.

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid the Badass bridge (or any other heavy ones like that) because from what I understand, they sort of kill the mids and the wood sound... true - not true?

4. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    You could also drill out the screw holes and put a small dowel into the hole(with glue of course). Then you can saw off what sticks up of the dowel, and voila, you don't have to worry about moving the bridge up or back because of the holes.

5. The BadAss comes standard on MIJ Geddy Lee jazz signature and (I believe) the Marcus Miller Signature 4 banger. I have one on my FrankenJazz (Geddy body - miscellaneous other parts) and I think it's woody as all get-out. Very mid-punchy and round, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Other options...I like the Gotoh bridges and Hipshot bridges, but you might need to do some modifications to your bass, and unless you're switching bridges all the time, this shouldn't really be a deciding factor.