1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Direct Box Question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rush Fan, Aug 15, 2007.

1. After playing bass and plugging straight into the amps playing live, I have potentially a silly question here. I've been doing computer recording since last last year by going straight into the M-Audio 410 (keys, GTR, and bass) and haven't had a problem. I just picked up a new jazz bass last week and it seems to record at a lower volume than my P bass. Will I need to get a direct box to correct this problem? If so, does both the input and outputs have 1/4" jacks?
    Ideally I plan to go the VST route and record that way but in the mean time I have to make do with what I've got. Mic'ing the amp isn't a possibilty sine I live in a high occupancy dwelling so that's out.:(

:help:
    Rush Fan

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Im not exactly sure what your asking but ill try and answer. A DI may help your problem, but just turning up the gain on your preamp will help more. I think the firewire 410's have mic pres on them. Sometimes a DI will help clean up your signal a bit and help with recording, but i'm not sure itll increase your gain a bunch. I have a radial j48 and its active, so im guessing an active DI would increase your headroom, but your gain is still the root of your problem.