direct box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    How does it work when you go direct to a PA? When I was in the studio, I used a direct box provided by the studio, to record. But If I play through a clubs PA, do I need a direct box for that? Any description of what to do, buy or expect will be greatly appreciated!

2. if I do that I usually use my practice amp as a monitor for me to hear myself without blowing the stage mons

heres how I do it

Rack gear to input on amp
    then preamp out (from amp) into the Direct box. Then you cac control the volume.

Another way to do it is plug straight into the Direct box, then use the out (it should have a 1/4" out on the direct box) and plug that into the amp.

but if you are just plugging straight in with no amp, tell the sound guy to turn you up in the stage monitors.....then your set!

hope that helps.....thats the 3 ways I have done it
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    You could just use the DI on your Carvin head.
  4. It is recommended that you have a balanced output going to the PA. If you are looking for just one DI box and to carry no amps or anything, i would say look into the DB900. Great DI and you definately can't go wrong with it.
  5. Who makes the DB900, I'm interested, I need a good DB
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If tyhere is a DI output on your amp you can try that. Otherwise I'd like to recommend the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, it has some EQ knobs as well as speaker simulation, I always use it between my amp and the PA. If you want a straight DI box there are probebly quite a few to choose from.
  7. Aguilar makes it. The great things about it, besides that its made by Aguilar is that is have a 12AX7 tube in it and a Jensen Transformer.
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I just use a simple Rapco DI that i is the first link in the signal chain and run the bass flat. This allows the PA to get true bass tone direct and any EQ'ing can be done by the sound guy up front, and I can dial in my stage sound without affecting the PA.