Direct boxes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Mar 30, 2001.

1. i need a di box to run my amp to the PA.

>what are my choices if i have $40 and under to spend? (please reccomend brands, models, or whatever you can). experience with it would give me some reassurance.

>what does "ground lift" mean?

effects, etc. are not necessary at all. i just need it to run from my amp to the PA and get rid of some amp noise. di boxes that don't use batteries (or any outside power source) is preferred.
  2. Alrighty you wanna do it cheap. go to and search for "Active Direct Injection DI Box" under Kits. This DI box is $38.26 Australian (and with the australia hitting record lows in New York, it should be cheaper for you americans nearly half that price as the ozzie dollar is something like 47c to the american dollar).

This box runs from 9v or Phantom Power. It has output earth, balanced outputs, 15db pad switches, etc. Worth it, comes with all bits and proper box etc.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Except, merlin, that would be an ACTIVE DI. He said he wants a passive one. Whirlwind makes one, ProCo makes one.

Bass Player, November '98 has a DI Shootout in it.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The Whirlwind one Munji's thinking of (IMP 2, right?) lists for $59 or something, I've seen it for $39 somewhere on the net. So if you find the right dealer, that'll do good. I've used it myself (2-3 times in live situations), and I thought it was a neat device for that purpose. It came with the PA my band rented, so I had no idea it was that cheap... now it seems like excellent value for money!
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yes the IMP2 I bought one for those annoying times when the soundman gets a 60 cycle buzz out of my bass amp. Of course he assumes my amp is junk. Next night same amp different room, no buzz. He's an idiot. Anyway it works great.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    oops that thumb was supposed to be going UP UP UP
  7. The whirlwind model is starting to sound very good. So this is passive right? I just might get this today, saw it at MF for $40..

And also, what's with all this "ground lift" dealio? I see it in the description of many of the boxes i've looked at.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DI's use XLR connectors to run a cable to the board. They have three prongs in them. Two of them send the bass signal, one 180 degrees out of phase from the other. The third prong is the ground prong. Since the ground is connected at both the DI and the board you can get hum and interference and whatnot. What the ground lift switch does is it enables you to disconnect the ground prong from your DI. The cable is still grounded at the board so you don't have to worry about proper grounding, and by disconnecting the ground on one end of the cable you can get rid of hum.
  9. so it didn't work..
    aka...the di box from
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have one, passive that I don't use. I could sell it to you, if you are interested, send me a E-mail.