Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

direct boxes

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 5, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Ive heard of direct boxes before, and i dont want to sound like an idiot, but what are they used for? I hear they are good for recording bass guitars but are they good for live performances?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmm. I musta' been in a good mood or something. It's kinda like when you shoot a pigeon through the head with a BB gun. He knows there's been an event, but can't quite figure out what it was.

4. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Thanks a ton Munjibunga. I had a similar question, but your examples helped me out.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    As always, I am proud to be of service, when I'm not busy pissing people off.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey pigeon boy, you forgot this one: ;)

MXR M-80 bass DI+

[​IMG]

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I know. But it's a johnny-come-lately.

Pidgeon boy? Isn't that spelled "pigeon boy?"

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I know, I'm an idiot. Why is there a BB in my mouth?

9. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    thanks to everyone who has been helping me out so far but the question was, "what is a direct box and what is it used for?" thanks for showing me those though.

check out www.soapbox7.com
    check out www.myhotelyear.com

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Dood ~

If you go to the links and read them, you should have a pretty good idea of what a direct box is and what it does. That's why I put the danged links there in the first place. Just click on everything that's underlined. It's an internet thing. Now I'm getting grumpy again.

11. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    thanks munji, i see that now. Im still not satisfied, please help. Is it best to get one if you play live? can i plug into my amp and the venue's P.A.? What is xlr and will venues have that input?

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    These boxes can be used in mainly three ways.

1. Recording; You show up with your bass and direct box. Plug your bass in the DI, and the DI into the mixer console.

2. Gigging/pracice; Scenario 1; Plug your bass into the DI, use the DI to "color" the tone (SABBDI for example), then plug your DI into your amp.

3. Gigging/practice; Scenario 2; Plug your bass into the DI, plug the DI directly into the house PA or your mixer console/PA if you have one where you practice.

I own the SansAmp and I love it!

13. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    dude, thanks icez, i understand totally now. I have a 8/10 goliath and a 8/10 ampeg with a bass 750 runing them (not at same time), do you think i should get one? I want a clearer tone and the fuzz taken away. I also want to plug directly into the PA at gigs.

check out my band: www.soapbox7.com
    check out this bad ass band www.myhotelyear.com

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, it all depends upon what you want the box to do. For example the SansAmp gives you a warm sound and it emulates many famous tube amps, the Ampeg SVT, Fender Bassman etc. Then it can also be used without those effects. Some say the tone is colored though.

By all means check out the links which Munjibunga wrote up earlier, there you can hopefully find what each box does. There you should be able to find what you want.

I only know the SansAmp so I can only comment on that one, maybe owners of the other boxes can comment on what they´re like.

Here´s what the Tech21 site has to say about the SansAmp.

SansAmp Bass Driver DI gives you the warmth, presence and punch of a miked-up bass tube amp system in a conveniently portable direct box/pedal format. SansAmp Bass Driver DI can be used as a pre-amp or stomp box with your existing stage rig. You can drive a power amp and speaker cabinets. Or go direct into the mixer of a recorder or P.A. You can also plug into a power amp or conventional bass amp and a P.A. system simultaneously.

The controls offer a broad range of traditional bass amp sounds, including such meaty styles as Bassman® and SVT®, as well as raunchy, crunchy overdriven sounds that would typically require a multitude of effects units.
    PRESENCE controls the amount of definition and upper harmonic content.
    DRIVE adjusts the overall gain structure and overdrive.
    LEVEL regulates the XLR and effected 1/4" output levels.
    BLEND allows you to mix the direct bass signal with SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry (which is particularly useful for basses equipped with piezo pickups).
    BASS & TREBLE are active EQ controls, specifically tuned for bass guitar, that cut or boost +/- 12dB.
    For studio and live applications, SansAmp Bass Driver DI is engineered with three outputs: an effected XLR, and effected 1/4", and a parallel, uneffected 1/4". The footswitch activates the Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry. Disengaging the circuitry enables you to use SansAmp Bass Driver DI as a standard active transparent direct box.
    Sample style settings include Bassman®, SVT®, King's X, Slap, Reggae, Crimson. Settings are also included for Chapman Stick and Acoustic guitar.