Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct Input question?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by A Rock, Aug 29, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i just recorded some songs. I directly recorded it but i noticed that fret noises and slide noise is more noticeable than when i play through my speakers.

The technician made me switch basses because he side the strings on my bass were not good.

Do any of you notice these fret noises when directly imputing instead of micing?

2. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I've always chalked most of that up to less than stellar technique. <G>. Seriously, I think it's more noticable in a recording studio because tracking is done with a flat EQ. Those noises that aren't so apparent on a bass amp become much more so on a flat system. Tweaking EQ can make it sound better, but there's nothing better than a nice clean playing technique.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You might hear this more clearly in recording situations because the studio speakers reach up higher than your average bass combo/cab.

You have to practice this, even Pattitucci told in an interview how shocked he was when he heard his recorded tone for the first time on a soloed track.
    But you can work on it at home.
    That's why it's advisable to do your home recording direct, and not with a miked amp.
    It's easier, sounds better (IMO), and it's shows flaws in your technique better, so that you can analyse and work on removing them.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That is very true. I have just come back from 4 recording sessions. Believe me, whatever sloppy technique or shortcuts you have for playing bass in real life is magnified and shows up as string noise and blurred muddy notes. You (and myself as well) need to practice fretting notes individually with our left hand, to minimize sliding from note to note, as well as impeccable plucking technique with our right hand. This will make the world of difference.

5. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    What's been killing me on my band's recording project is unevenness of notes - both timewise and tonewise. Things that I thought I had nailed until the awful truth of the tape opened my ears.

That's why I've started to hang out in this forum - to learn how to best record myself to computer so I can improve my playing specifically for recording.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    @*$%&# tape is a cruel master, ain't it? :oops: :eek: