Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

direct out dilemma...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Oct 14, 2005.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    so my new amp is vintage and does not have a direct out. i assume most venues have enough mics to use for our whole band with me using one for my cab, but in the event that they dont, is there a way for me to send a direct out to the board from a pedal like a sansamp without that signal also effecting my amp sound on stage? i figure this would be better than using a direct box and sending my direct bass signal to the board (blegh)...

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The generation of SansAmp pedals before the new "programable" one had a parallel out. It was un-effected by the controls. That would let you keep your stage sound while having a nice DI to the board.

3. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    wouldnt that just send the direct signal of my actual bass to the pa?

4. Yes, there are several different DI boxes that you could use. It seems to be quite popular these days. The SansAmp you mentioned would do this, but it's pricey if you only plan to bypass it and use the DI.

The Behringer BDI 21 preamp does pretty much the same thing, and sells for 30 bucks here in the US. I own one, and I like it.

There are a few DI boxes that work between amp and speaker cabinet, taking the signal from that point, but that would be post EQ.

I'm sorry, were you looking for an option that would let you run a preamp/DI for sending to the mixer, but not into your amp? That would require some sort of splitter, coming directly from your bass. One side into the preamp/DI, and the other into your amp. Something like an A-B box maybe.

Mag...

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    yeah thats exactly what i would want to do. best case scenario obviously would be micing my cab and having the beautiful hiwatt sound come through the pa as well, but im basically looking for a "next best thing" in case i get in a bind. how would an a/b box do this?

6. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I use a Behringer Ultra-DI DI20 and it works quite well for this. It was about $25.

7. No. The parallel unaffected output is a 1/4 inch out you could use to your amp while the xlr DI feed would be affected by the sansamp circuitry.

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    nice.