Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct out jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrianKennedy, Jun 25, 2004.

1. BrianKennedy

BrianKennedy

Jun 25, 2004
    10. Direct Out jack - Use this electronically balanced XLR jack to route signal
    from the Model 3500 to a professional mixing console or as a tap to a main PA
    system via a mic input on the console. The signal output from this jack is low
    impedance (600 ohm) with an output level of approximately -30 to -20 dB. You
    can also use the Direct Out jack to route signal to an external amplifier with a
    -10 dB input sensitivity.

when it says i can route a signal to an external amplifier, what kidna amp would it be? and would i need a special chord due to the different jack type?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Its saying you can run it into a standard power amp. Several manufactures of power amps equip their amps with XLR inputs. Alot of guys run a preamp to a separate poweramp to use as their bass rig. If your poweramp has the XLR input, all you need is an XLR cable.

3. BrianKennedy

BrianKennedy

Jun 25, 2004
    sorry, maybe i just dont understand what you said, by the jack im talking about is on my hartke ha 3500 head, not a pre amp :meh:

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, the direct-out from your Hartke is a preamp signal. Thats why you can use it as a preamp for another basic power amp. The direct-out is the same as pre-amp out on the Hartke 3500 bass head. I hope that makes it a little clearer.

5. I've got the same amp.
    Use the XLR out to go to a power amp.
    Just as everybody else has said.
    I also have a question about this though...
    Can I still have speakers coming from the head of the Hartke AND more speakers coming from the power amp?
    HA3500 head has 2 speaker outs at 8 ohms each, so could I put 2 8ohm cabs from that, then run the line out to a Power amp, then put some speakers to whatever ohmage the poweramp has?
    Damn thats confusing :meh: hope you understand...

6. Yea you can do that.... it's exactly the same as sending the direct out to the PA. But if you want to carry around a Head cabs power amp and speaker assembly your mad!