Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct out possible problems....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incubus2432, Nov 19, 2004.

1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have a direct out (transformer balanced XLR) from my Ampeg-SVP Pro preamp that may be having a problem. I have been using it as my direct line for years without trouble. At our last gig the soundguy complained that he wasn't getting a good signal from me so he hooked me up to a house direct box and all was fine. He never seems to be happy unless he is complaining about something or acting as a hero by fixing his outdated system so I didn't pay his complaining much attention. Since then I have decided to check things out a little just to make sure my equipment is healthy. I tried hooking the direct out from the SVP directly into my power amp (Ashley FET-2000M) and I have no signal (works fine from the preamp outs). Should this work or does the signal need to run through a mixer to have a strong enough signal for the power amp? I figure that it should work but I have never tried it and just want to double check before I send it out for repairs.....and before it is suggested I will add that the cables I used are good. Thanks in advance.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I wouldn't expect "no" signal, but a low signal would be pretty normal. The output is low enough to go into a mic input.

Since a power amp normally needs a signal around a volt or even 2 volts, that's quite a difference. An SM57 with a screaming singer an inch away usually won't get to a volt, just as a comparison of levels......

It also makes a difference if you have it set "pre" or "post". "Pre" is before the preamp (straight signal repeat), and "post" is the same signal that goes to the master volume. So "pre" is usually a somewhat lower signal level.

I'd expect to hear "something" though, even then.

See if you can get a send to a board out of it in some calm non-gig setting without a soundman around.....got a friend with a studio?

I'm out for next week, so I guess I'll find out later what happened.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Thanks for the response....that sounds promising that maybe the SVP is fine.....I thought that since I got nothing the direct out was likely shot.
    Any voltmeter test that I can do to check this out? I don't have easy access to a board. Any other type of test that I can do to see if it working? Anyone.

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Just a "does anyone have any ideas?" bump

:scowl:

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The balanced out of a send operates at about 1/1000 the voltage of a line level signal, so you won't hear anything unless it's sent to a mic level pre-amp.