direct outputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCR, Aug 9, 2004.

1. hello talkbass

i have a question about direct outputs.. are they only avaliable in XLR? cause ive never seen them as a 1/4" ... and are line outs only avaliable in 1/4"? cause ive never seen them as a XLR
    is there a performance difference between XLR and 1/4"?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You're talking about a DI box, right? Usually the XLR outs are "balanced", meaning that they have two signal wires and a shield. Usually the line outs are "single ended", meaning that they have one signal wire and a ground. Once in a blue moon you'll see a "balanced line out", meaning a 1/4" TRS connector, with a tip-ring-shield configuration, and that would be functionally equivalent to an XLR, although it looks like an ordinary phone plug. Those are more common in the pro audio world though (mixers and the like). With a DI box, the XLR is intended to connect into the board (hence the balanced connection, which is good for running long cables off the stage), and the line out is intended to connect into the amp (hence the ordinary phone plug, which is compatible with most amps). The performance difference relates mainly to the amount of hum that you're likely to pick up when you're running long cables, the XLR is better for that purpose.
  3. so its better to have a DI box if i have a line out so i can have less hum right?? can i still run the line out direct to the board? if my amp has a XLR i dont need a DI box right??
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yes...I think so, although I can't speak for the whole world...

I use the DI-out all the time. It's perfect for the mixing console and not influenced by the EQ if you set it to pre-EQ. Line out gives a lot of hiss too, etc... sometimes really sounds bad. The soundman prefers to have your sound unaltered, so he can change it for ideal PA settings. (As if you care, because you're on stage anyway, so you can't hear what's it like in the audience)

When you've got a XLR there's a built-in DI present... you don't need any box extra. Except to improve the basssound for recording stuff or even a better sound to the mixing table (e.g. a Aguilar external DI or Ampeg builds them too) you can just use that one. But I think the second option is for really professional studio people... a good amp will do too. ;)
  5. alright thanks guys