Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct to Poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I plugged my passive bass directly into my Stewart 1.2 today and the sound was incredibly beautiful. All the EQ I will ever need was in the tone knob on my bass. The volume level was almost loud enough with it turned up all the way, but not quite. I tried it into the PLX3002 next and it sounded good too, but weak. Wouldn't it be great if QSC put an instrument level input on the PLX series,(Bob)?? For many of us it would work perfectly as a stand alone amp head. No more preamps and stomp boxes and huge rack rigs. No more maze of cables hanging all over the place. A 3000 watt bass head in two rack spaces, think about it. :eek: :oops: :hyper:

2. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    So basically a really powerful head. With no controls.

sweet.

3. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    there is a kick but bass player up here in milwaukee
    that plays a us 5 spector into crown then in to a eden 410xlt it sounds awsome you know the more i see people do this I just want to buy a kick ass di box and get some shure e5 in ears
    my e2's are good but man the e5's would rock

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    That's the same thinking that led me to make an Avalon U5 into a Stewart 1.6 my rig setup. The upside being that the Avalon has a line out to feed the amp, and a mic out to feed the FOH.

5. Lately I've been using a small Radio Shack mixer into my QSC USA900 with great results. Go figure!

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I've done the same before now but with an MTR DI box boosting the level. Sounded great but I'm too in love with my Sansamp bass driver.

7. Have you used / do you use the SABDDI for the same purpose and, if so, how did / does it perform?

I have heard all sorts of reports of there being insufficient level unless you use the rackmount version??

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Performs very well, as long as you are careful to blend it no more than 50% or it tends to overtake your basses own sound IMO. The older models will not provide enough level to drive your average amp, however i used the 1/4" out (hotter than the XLR!) to an amp that had a switchable +4/-10db inputs.
    It's worth noting though that the newer models (particularly the programmable version) have a hotter output to address this problem, or at least a switch to boost to line level IIRC.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You mean the brand new 3 channel model?

And I agree with most of you all...if you can get a power amp that'll adequately accept the signal I think it would be great to just use a good, clean power amp.

I know that some dealers of QSC amps have advertised a mod that can be performed to allow for some of the less than fire-hot units to be used like this.

10. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Yup the new three channel model but also the standard pedal has been slighly modified and the latest production runs should include the higher output switch IIRC.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Does the Avalon U5 have a boosted line out that I could run into the PLX3002 and get full power?? I've tried a couple of DI's that came up a little short on the output. There must be some more Avalon users out there that have run it as a stand-alone preamp??

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yeah, the Avalon U5 has a gain stage that provides up to +30db of "OOMPH"! It shouldn't be a problem to match up to the input requirements of your amp.

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I can feel the GAS pressure rising. I've been trying to hold it in until the SVT6-PRO hit the stores. The Mesa 750 and the Aguilar 500SC were also GASing me up lately. All three of these heads have a whole bunch of knobs on the front that I don't need. Let me do the math. The heads will be $1200-$1500 and the Avalon U5 is $499.....hmmmmm.