Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Direct Tv Concerts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 7, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Is it just me or has Direct TV been showing some pretty great bassists the past 3 months. This month Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel, last month was Rush, and the month before that was Nathen East with Phil Collins.

Thats 3 of the greats IMO. I really hope they keep this up, its making my music library quite nice.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tony Levin with Gabriel is great, but I keep getting distracted by Paula Cole!

3. Yea its been great, Ive seen the Rush concert (I never knew Geddy Lee was the lead singer:eek: ) And just on saturday I saw the Peter Gabriel concert, Tony Levin was great and Paula Cole was HOT!! I dont know about Peter's tights and his dances, kinda queerish. And Levin was wearing some pretty funky clothes too, Silly band :p

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not entirely sure why Levin wears white knee pads over his black pants, looks kinda silly, but ya know, with talent like that I wouldn't care if he came out in a pink ballerina's outfit.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...never even thought of it. But, now that you mention it...:D

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was wondering what her name was. Her voice sounds very familiar. Is she the same woman that sings that one song, "I dont wanna wait, for our lives to be over" yadda yadda yadda

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That's her.

:D

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I thought so. Did she get her start with Peter Gabriel, or was she doing her own thing before doing his tour? I ask because I dont know much about Peter Gabriels music, since I dont listen to much of it.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    You guys are forgetting the Kansas concert that DirecTV is pairing with the Peter Gabriel concert! They are awesome! Progressive rock at its finest!

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    DirecTV Freeviews rule.

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm with the PolkaHero...don't forget about the Kansas deal too! I end up watching these things about 10 times over the course of the month--just keep flipping back up there (my wife finally told me to STOP with the Eric Clapton one...I was an addict!):D

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    did anyone catch the Sinead O'connor show? I was impressed with it... kind of a reggae / irish folk blend. Plus I've always loved her voice.

I forgot how cheesy Rush was in the late 80's early 90's. I saw that tour live. I've seen Peter Gabriel a few times, I knew Paula would head out on her own, great voice!

I missed Kansas thou :( Maybe they'll air it again

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dunno about the kansas one. I was watching some of it. The bassist is good, but I didnt dig the tone he had, or his playing as much as I did, the others Ive seen.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks to this thread I watched the Kansas Freeview over the weekend. (And I'm going to get a SuperVHS tape for it next weekend) I thought the bass playing was fine, particularly on "Song For America". The coolest thing was seeing a Dean Edge on stage! I've never seen one like that. Of course it was a Czech neck-through Spector-style Edge, not like my Korean one.... Same shape and headstock though. Close family lineage.

And Steve Walsh is friggin' amazing. The guy plays keys pretty darn well, and still has a fantastic voice to boot!

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    The Peter Gabriel concert is amazing. What an amazing show. Although, and it may be me, but it seems like the sound tracking was the slightest bit off in that show.

The Kansas concert is also good and I like the tone that Billy Greer is getting out of his Dean, but I've got to disagree on Steve Walsh's vocals. He seems to have lost the smooth tone that was there in the past. I heard, and don't know if it's true, that he had a bout with the bottle that tore his voice to shreads.