Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Directed to those of you in the SFO bay area...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Hey, about Gelb Music over in Redwood City, what kinda gear do they stock? I remember going there about a year ago with my brother when he was looking for an acoustic guitar to bring with him to college, but back then I didn't know much about different brands & actve/passive electronics & stuff, so I just sorta oogled at all the pretty basses they had there.

But now that I'm more experienced & stuff, I wanna go back & try some stuff out, as well as compare prices with Hong Kong, just as a general kind of thing. And, if I'm lucky, anything I want will be much cheaper here so I can get a new bass or something, then bring it back to Hong Kong with me. :D

Otherwise...I'll be halfway to a Warwick Streamer Jazzman V when I get back to Hong Kong anyway, so I guess I could go 3 months without buying anything. :p

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Gelb carries more high end basses than any other store in the bay area. It's the only place where I've seen Ken Smiths, F Basses and Zons side by side - and they had a whole slew of each!

They also had Fenders, Spectors and ESPs, if memory serves. Amps include, GK, Peavey and SWR. They have a lot of stuff, though and I've only been there once. I vowed not to set foot there again until I can afford an F bass, so I'm planning yo stay away from some time.

3. Hmmm...
    If there's one thing I don't need while I'm here in the US, it's probably GAS.
    But then again, I also want to compare prices.
    Now how would I go about doing that accurately without actually going to a store?

And plus...I have yet to see a Zon or F bass or...well...any other high end basses, to be honest. :D

Oh well. Looks like I'll be headed over to Gelb tomorrow. :D

4. I'm going to San Fran in a week, and I'm gonna raise all hell! :D
    Are there any other good stores in the San Fran area? If I get some time I'll check some of 'em out.

5. Gelb...
    Haight Ashbury stocks Warwicks, so I'm gonna go check them out some time. :D
    Blue Note...
    well, I told you the ones I know of on ICQ already. :p

But another question for you guys in the bay area...
    I stopped by Mountain View today at around lunch time to pick up my grandmother, and there was some kinda fair or bazaar or something that had Castro St. closed. I was wondering if any of you knew what it was? I stopped by Chef Wang's to grab some noodles for lunch, and decided to walk out onto Castro & take a look, and I noticed that all the people at the stalls were black. Was it some sort of black community thing, or...?
    I also heard some pretty funky music playing at about..1:00 or so? But at that time I was in the car and I couldn't see if there was a stage and it was a live band, or if they were just playing some CDs or something.
    Anyway, I'm just kinda curious as to what was going on. :)