Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Directions needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Viviuos, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Ok, this is probably an age old question that everybody knows but what is the difference between flats and rounds. I know one is flat and one is round, however what I want to know is how do each sound. What sound qualities do each have, what makes each special? If these are all answered somewhere please tell me. That you for your time.

2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The biggest difference in the sound is that the Roundwounds has more of the top end freq. and the flatwounds has more of the low end freq.

If you listen to two modern day funksters - MeShell N'degeocello and Marcus Miller - you will find that Marcus' sound is punchy with crystal clear top end - he uses roundwound strings. Meshell has a more "thump" sound with lots of bottom and much less highs than Marcus - she uses flatwoounds.

Tjeck any of Marcus' albums ( but the best ones is the two first solo albums - "The Sun Don't Lie" or "Tales" ). With Meshell I would check out the first two of her albums called "Plantation Lullabies" or "Peace Beyond Passion"