1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Directions please??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 9, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Can someone please direct me to a great thread on here or explain to me effects loops on amp heads?? I have one on my GK 1001 RB but never use it. I have plugged into it with my pedal board into it and played through it that way but it seems its just like playing through my amp without the EQ. How can I utilize the effects loop on my amp more often and why would I?

Thanks in advance all!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    FX loops on most amps are at Line Level, your effects are stomp boxes, which are Instrument Level. Line Level gear is usually in rack mouynted format. So, no need to use fx loop on amp with current gear.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So in other words I would need/want a rack system in order to utilize the effects loop?

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Is there a thread on here somewhere explaining it in greater detail?

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    the signal goes..

bass in > pre-amp > FX send out jack > fx return in jack > power amp.

use it, dont use it, its there simply for flexibility...

the more important qustion is... "what is it about your current rig that you are unhappy about"?

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with my rig. I just wanted to get as educated as i can about the effects loop in case I ever wanted to use it and or go the way of a nice rack unit. Thanks NYC!

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    You're welcome.

9. You can also use the effects send to the effects return of a second amp. This is called slaving. One preamp controls both power amps and cabs.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Is that sort of like "daisy chaining" amps so to speak B?

11. Well I guess so, IME daisy chain would be the same signal going to two units. Slaving the signal goes to one unit, goes through the preamp/tone circuits then out to it's own power amp. The slaved power amp just uses the already adjusted/eq'ed signal from the master head, the slaved amp's preamp is bypassed.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ah I see, ok, thanks B!