Directly into compressor, or amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    the first time i hooked up my compressor, i went through it. i hooked my bass up to the input of channel one of the compressor, then got the channel 1 output into the amp.
    i though it worked, it made my amp sound so much louder when i turned up the output gain all the way.
    so should i go through the compressor, or put it in the effects loop like i am now? does going through the compressor do any damage? thanks!
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The input impedance on the dbx 266XL is 40k ohms. For line level or buffered stuff this is fine, but if you are plugging your bass directly into it the impedance is pretty low. What I mean is, because dbx's input impedance is so low, it can suck tone from your bass. It won't however, hurt anything. Just sound different. Try it out both ways and use what you think sounds better. FWIW, In my rig I have my FMR RNC compressor in the effects loop.
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok, thanks man. any idea on why it made my amp/output so much louder though?
  4. The output gain control of the compressor is another gain stage. You have an extra preamp in between your bass and amp; that's why it's louder.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so will that clip my head then?