Directly Proportional??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mark beem, Aug 31, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'm a member of several online communities in addition to TalkBass. One is a site for artists including poets, writers, artists (painters etc.) and musicians. All contribute and post their creations for everyone's benefit.

In addition to music, I've also dabbled in writing. On the above mentioned site there are at times "story threads" that members can add to and help develop. I've noticed that when I exercise my creative muscle in one area it tends to affect other areas. In other words, when I contribute to the online story and it's really "working" in that format I notice that I'm more creative musically. It seems in expressing myself in multiple outlets that I'm able to tap into a deeper source and write, and arrange things so that when I step back and read / listen I get that 'WHOA!! Did I do that?' reaction.

I'm just curious if anyone else here has similar experiences.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've been drawing for 10 years and painting and playing bass for about 8 years, and I believe having multiple creative outlets is one of the best things a person can do for themselves. It gets you out of the box that one art form can put you in. I went to an art college, so painting took precedence for about four years, but my bass was almost always there in the school utility closet with a small amp, and I'd play between classes in the student commons.
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I painted a pic of an album cover a few weeks ago whilst my wrist was on the bad side so bass playing time was greatly reduced.

Sadly, I stopped painting it when my wrist was good enough to play. I'll take a photo of it and see if anyone recognises the original when my bro gets batteries for his new digi-cam.
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've been taking art at school for a long time, and I like it. This year I'm taking 2 dimensional art and creative writing, which should both be excellent.

I also draw and make stuff from clay a lor at home, as I've always done since I was little. Poetry has always been cool, and I'm starting to do more of that lately too. Really helps with lyrics.

Hey Prog, what's that site? I'd like to check that out.
  5. I'm starting to get into photography, and taking Black and White photos. My mom has always been a great photographer, and I've been wanting to post some of her better pictures on TB for a while.
  6. I like creative writing, do a lot in English at school. Also as most know I'm big into designing websites, and that takes some creativity at times.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I try to draw, but I'm not very good.

I try to use photoshop, but I have much to learn.

I do a lot of photography but I slack off on that.

I waste a lot of time coming up with silly raps.

There is one thing I like a lot, that I can do quite well, At least I've been told by some and all others can go to hell.

if you haven't guessed that art in which I currently compose.

Then tilt your head back and stare down, it's right under your nose.

8. Song writing :):) You are pretty good ;) Nice one.
  9. {"One is a site for artists including poets, writers, artists (painters etc.) and musicians. All contribute and post their creations for everyone's benefit."} Quote by Progzilla,

What's the name of that site? sounds cool..
    I went to art school at UC. Was in a band at the same time.. my major was drawing and print making..I kind of got out of Painting and drawing, but I am getting back into it lately. I get paid to do some photography work sometimes:) I have never made any money with my painting or prints though.. I get most of my creative ideas for music and art from being out on the ocean or looking for unusual natural happenings caused by nature:)confused:)
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well, it's actually poetry that I really like and write.

but I guess it can apply to lyrics as well :p

11. Ahhh, i see where ya comin from ;) Got ya
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I write. A lot. I find that it generally doesn't do anything for my bass playing. Only music really gets me going musically. Sometimes visuals, like movies ot pictures, but never writing.

I believe I'm mentioned my proclivity towards and prolific writing habits before (2 novels and 10 comic/graphic novel series are currently being worked on, along with poetry, lyrics, and I've been asked to do some scripting for animations and film projects).