1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DirecTV installers forced to lie to get you to attach a phone line to your receiver?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, May 5, 2006.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Interesting... bump!

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

not a bit surprising to me ...
    our local cable and direct tv companies scramble around looking
    for ways to charge customers unnecessary fees ...

- having to install new cables because they say the old cables are
    not compatible with new systems { they sure looked the same , even
    the same tan color ...}

- having to buy new cable control boxes because the old models have
    been " recalled by the manufacturer " { *** , why should i have to
    pay for a recalled item ?}

- not being able to buy computer services without adding a phone line
    and new style cables ...

- paying for a dish and all cables , then finding out the location they picked
    to install " needs to be re-located , to insure optimal reception ..." AFTER they
    already put the damn thing on my roof !

these are some of my own experiences with both satallite {sp} companies
    and cable companies here in San Antonio ...

sorry for the rant ...
    :bag:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Your rant is to my benefit! :D Thanks for the heads up!

:)

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I had DirecTV for about six months (about 3 years ago), when the installer wanted to hook up my phone line to the box, I let him. After he left, I unplugged it. There weren't any extra charges, no hidden fees, no penalties for unplugging it afterwards. The article wasn't really clear between what the lie was and what the phone line did. Regardless, docking the installers' pay is a pretty lame move, anyway.
    When I moved to my current place, I had cable, but when I tried to get cable Internet, I couldn't because the cables were too old. Adelphia pointed this out after calling about poor performance and replaced the house cables--for free.

5. The motivation for forcing the phone line install was that people were probably more likely to order pay-per-view shows when they could do it through their receiver.

The main problems here are the lying and the firing.

- Dave

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I have had DirecTV for a few years and generally am pleased with the service. Often times my main box is connected to a phone line, but it's been disconnected for months a few times. My two secondary boxes are seldom connected.

I'm not sure I have a total picture of what was going on here other than a bunch of techs got fired for whistle blowing on TV.

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Hmm, I need stronger motivation than that to order a movie....like maybe they could put a movie on that was desireable and not repeated a month later on HBO a gazillion times.