1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DIRECTV opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 5, 2013.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I currently have cable but I'm interested in Directv. Anyone have feedback, good or bad? I did a search here and found some older messages but how do you like or dislike them now? Any input on Dish Network? I've heard better about Directv. Thanks.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I haven't had DirecTV in a while but DirecTV > Dish TV by a LONG shot!

3. i work for directv. the programming is good.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well theres this:

1339614486434_9466075. [​IMG]

But then theres this:

5. gonna have to record that one

6. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    TV? DirectTV? What TV of any kind is worth watching? Can you picture your lives without TV? I bet most of you can't.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had it and hated it simply because any time it rained or snowed, and this was with two different dishes in two different residences, the signal got scrambled or went out entirely. I do miss their DVR though. Lots of little features that beat Xfinity's.

8. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I got it after years of not having cable or anything but over the air TV.

The reality shows have taken over all the cool channels I used to like.

There are only like maybe 10 channels I watch. The only reason I keep it is for the family. The kids watch way more than I do.

Paying $6 or more for each receiver you have sucks and brings the cost up a lot.

Never had a problem with reception during any kinds of bad weather.

NFL Sunday Ticket is free the first year you get it. That was cool.

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ridiculous. I go without TV all the time. It just so happens, though, that the Walking Dead is in season, so I'll see you Sunday night.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I only lose service in deep snow or huge thunderstorms. the programming and price is as good as I can find. Dish will get you in cheaper but doesn't have near the channel selection. They are pretty helpful when our promo plan runs out and have gotten us on a new mostly equal one every time we've called.

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    In the late 80's I got tired of the damn cable going out every time there was a snow storm ~ and that would be the time that I would actually want to watch it. So I took the cable box back to Time Warner and it was the best thing I ever did. I do have a television with a VHS/DVD player, but it doesn't have cable or aerials. I think a computer is really all you need in this day and age anyway.

Since then, I occassionally see TV programming when visiting family or if I'm in a hotel on a business trip. Clearly, I was right to dump it when I did. It has only gotten worse. As someone else here said, the only cool channels that were available have all been overtaken by the thick undergrowth of reality tv shows. :scowl:

If you watch TV, you have only yourselves to blame for the Kardashians.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've had DirecTV for about 10 years. Generally, I'm happy with it. But you do tend to lose your signal when there is heavy rain, or if you have a wet snow that sticks to the dish. We don't get a lot of snow here in Memphis, but I've had to go out with a ladder and broom a few times to clear the snow off the dish.

My daughter has Comcast. IMO, each has it's pros and cons. Customer Service at DirecTV has always been pretty good to me.

13. I haven't had any kind of TV since September, apparently Comcast frowns on you not paying for 3 months. Anyway, I looked into DirecTV and DishNetwork as alternatives and they seem like pretty good deals until you start digging deeper.

You're locked into a 2 year contract and getting out costs you over 300 dollars. you don't like your service, well screw you.

They advertise 19.99 a month starting packages but then you add in this and that; Receivers, taxes, fees, etc... that 19.99 is up to 54.99

They force you into "free trials" of premium movie channel packages with no way to opt out of them until the "free trial" is over (I even called about this one) so three months down the road when you forget the free trial is up you get a magic 39.99 extra charge on your bill.

DishNetwork doesn't (or rather didn't when I looked) have a professional looking website. If mom and pop guitar shops in my area on a shoe string budget have better looking and better run web presence than a corporation I'm not sure I want to give my money to you.

This is just what I remember bothering me off the top of my head.

Comcast really isn't any better, but I'd probably reach some kind of post limit complaining about them. Necessary evils I guess you could call the lot of them.

14. Love Directv and their DVR can't be beat.

I've lived in South Dakota for decades and we've never had it go completely out and only maybe fuzz a little bit in even the worst wind/rain/snow. And we get tons of wind and snow some winters. Can't speak as much for rain, but never noticed anything during our rain storms.

In an unrelated story, see my signature. ;)

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I feel you. There isnt much other than crap on TV, and I myself hardly watch any actual programs while on the air. I do often watch TV series or movies that interest me, but I do that through Netflix, with the exception of The Walking Dead which I DVR. I wouldnt even have that if I werent staying with my parents. I wont be getting cable or satellite when I move out. Just an internet connection :smug:

16. I have it SPECIFICALLY for the NFL Sunday Ticket. As an expat Bears fan living in Minnesota (and an NFL junkie in general), it's great to have access to all the football I want. Couldn't be without it.

17. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I'm pretty sure we could dump the cable but I can't find and MLB on the internet. Not legally anyway.

18. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Finally broke down and called them. The lowest package turns into $50.99 + tax a month. Not quite the 29.99 they offer. After a year, it goes up another $25.00 a month. Charter wants to charge me $54.00 a month for internet at the speed I'm currently using. So, first year I'm paying $105 a month. Second year I'm paying $130 a month. Christ.

19. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    I have had Direct TV for about 15 years. I am happy with it. I only watch maybe 5 channels. With all the reality crap invading everything, I am wondering why I pay what I do....but the wife won't let me get rid of the tv's.

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery Channel- there's a lot of good stuff on there. OTOH, just one of the shopping channels offsets the bunch, so......