Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirk Lance / Alex Katunich

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    What are your opinions on Dirk Lance of Incubus?

To me, he was my first and biggest inspiration. I love his style, I love his writing, and I love his tone. He is one of my favorite personal bassists.

What do you guys think of good old Dirk? :)

2. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    oh ya, my favorite band, i love incubus, and just wouldn't be incubus without dirk.

i love his crazy finger style, i cant seem to do it and make it functional though, maybe just my inexperiance ;)

whats your favorite song?
    i'd have to go with a "certain shade of green", and "circles"

3. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    heh, you know, i was watching a music video and i just noticed something, dirk really hates using the higher(tonewise) strings. All his songs he goes up and down the fretboard hitting only the B and E strings.

4. yeah i noticed that he does that in clips too. Might just being like that in clips though, i mean the only way to tell would be to see him live.

Wish i could see them live.

I like the way Dirk doesn't cram the songs full of notes, or very fast playing, he's very tasteful.

Bassis

5. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    im listening to morning view right now. some of the best bass playing ive ever heard in terms of melodic compositions, note placement and especially tone. the best examples are just a phase and under my umbrella.

or you can just listen to the insane basslines in fungus amongus...

6. Yeh, dirk lance rules!! he one of my insperations, i love his tone aswell.

here is a link to his setup: DIRKS SETUP

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I just got the "Incubus Volume 2" DVD and it rawks!

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I saw them live about a year ago. He's incredible and sounds even better live.

He does like to go up the B/E, even live. He just uses Streamer II or that CAR Jazz Reissue of his.

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I really dig dirk. Not only is he an unusally well rounded and tasteful player, he seems like a genuinely good person. Way to go dirk.:cool:

10. Dirk is who inspired me to be a bass player. After I heard him on "Speak Free" I made up my mind and baught a bass.

11. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    ok...dirk lance is a beast at bass guitar. He may not show it in his new stuff be even then his idea and playing is super awesome. He can slap so damn fast too. Love the guy big inspiration :)

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like him too, I agree a lot of what he does is tasteful and serves the overall band in a big way. He's a solid player with good lines and versatile techniques.

I think he climbs up the E/B strings for extra thump and deepness instead of utilizing the thinner strings. A lot of their material is driven by bass lines with big bottom, and I think this tendency of his to use the E/B almost exclusively helps facilitate the heavy bottom behind much of their music.

13. I really like Dirk too. He is one of my major Influences. Also Incubus is great...

14. yeah dirk is pretty good. I like his stuff better on s.c.i.e.n.c.e then his newer stuff. Incubus is still good but make yourself and back is there best stuff.

15. How coincidental that this thread comes up as I was just listening to Fungus Amongus and just about soiled my pants at the sound of his bass lines. They were great then, but now they are so so, they get the job done, but what happened!?!? If you haven't listened to Fungus yet, GOOOOOO!!!!! Just about his most unique bass line out of the last 2 albums is Are You In, but that does not even come close to his lines in Fungus or Science. Maybe their next album he will decide to go all out again with his beautiful Warwick SS2?

16. personally, I think popping is a horrible sound on the bass and i find that his playing style has certainly improved since he moved away from the tired novelty of funky slapping. I feel the same way about flea.

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    slaping kicks man.

18. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I agree (basically) with everything stated above. Dirk was my inspiration to start playing bass and I really love ALL his material and Incubus' stuff on a whole. Back in the day, he played powerful and funky slap lines to go with the music. Incubus was a really aggressive hard-rock band, and Dirk managed to keep the rythm tight and interesting while slipping a solo in here and there. In the newer material, he plays for the band, builds basslines to add to the mood of the song (TASTEFULLY) and thus I really don't think that a funky slap solo fits Incubus' current mood or feel. I find that incubus have always been a band that didn't stick to a single genre, they play whatever they think feels and sounds good at that stage of their life. I don't think that Fungus is too jumpy and distorted, nor do I think that Morning View is too slow and boring; I love it all.

My favorite Incubus songs have to be:
    1.) Battlestar Scralatchica
    2.) Speak Free
    3.) Aqueous Transmission
    4.) Deep Inside (gotta love that groove)
    5.) Azwethinkweiz
    6.) Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity)

But they are all great, and those 6 are just the ones that popped into my head as ones I listen to A LOT.

All in all, Dirk is a great bass player. Not because he can slap like flea, not because he writes chilled basslines, not because he supports his band and their music, not because he can groove and funk.

Dirk Lance is a great bass player because he has all the above qualities, and he knows how to use them in moderation. (not to mention that he seems like a really, really nice guy:) )

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have it too! They seem to be awesome live:)
    And Dirk is a great bassist, smooth bass lines :)

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I love the old stuff, and though the new stuff is just recycled garbage, Dirk's lines are still smooooooooth and tastey.