Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirk Lance Bass tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rporcupine, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    How do I get that really punchy, distinct and crisp bass tone? yet keeping the low end rolling and thundering?

if anyone has ever heard dirk lance from incubus, or flea from chilis, youll know what im talking about.

if anyone can b arsed, listen to something like New Skin (S.C.I.E.N.C.E) 2:30 into it. or even the intro to Deep inside (S.C.I.E.N.C.E) - both incubus songs.

I dnt have a high budget at all, but i need to know the simplest way of sounding like that. help :meh:

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Dirk plays Warwick Streamer Stage models. Pretty pricey basses, but you might want to check out a Euro Spector if that hits your price range. A little different but the modern tone he has. You might also like some of the other Warwick models that cost less like the Corvette. You should be able to AB those at a Guitar Center first, then you can buy it from another retailer (just kidding, sort of). He also has a modern amp tone with SWR.

3. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I thought he had an Eden amp.

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yup he uses Eden gear.For distortion he uses a Big Muff.And he sometimes plays a 65 jazz

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Alex's tone is Warwick, Eden, and Sansamp Overdrive, that's really it other than some stomp pedals from time to time. If I had to recommend one thing however, it would be the Sansamp. His tone is slightly distorted to begin with, and the Sansamp gives it that edgy, distorted tone.

6. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    thanks, is that a pedal? or what? where can i get one? (im in the uk) - ps im not really that experienced with technical stuff like this, but would a boss odb-3 get that slight overdrive? if so what settings?

7. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I'm not a real authority on pedals and such, but the Sansamp has a very distinct tone and one that you can pick out the majority of the time, so my guess would be that the Boss pedal may sound similar, but in the end, it's still different. The Sansamp is a pedal by the way.

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Are you sure he uses a Sansamp?Is it the BDDI?Cos that gives your tone a vintageish vibe.That certainly isn't him

9. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, I'm positive he used the Sansamp unit. IIRC, it's the Bass Driver model that he used most often, but I also remember when talking to him last before he left Incubus that he was using a Sansampo rack mount unit as well.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Last BP issue he was in lists the setup for his "Morning View" tours.

Start out with 2 Warwick Streamer Stage II basses, with upgraded Bassline pickups, add a fretless Warwick Streamer II fretless and a '65 Jazz, you'll get his instruments. Plus, fresh Ernie Ball Slinkies.

Then, go for 3 separate Eden Navigator pre's, each going to a separate Eden power amp, then into 2 4x10's (EQ'd individually for highs,mids and lows), for a total of 6, and you've got his amps.

Add on a Demeter Optical Tube compressor, few phasers, flangers, NYC USA Big Muff, CAE switcher and footswitch, and you've got that.

Take his years of practice and flat-out talent, you'll be the next Dirk. ;)