Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirk Lance of Incubus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blinkbass225, Mar 8, 2001.

1. I am constantly impressed with Dirk Lance of Incubus. He has very good Bass Lines on all the Incubus albums. Some songs to check out are, You will Be A Hot Dancer, and Stellar. The best bass lines are arguably on Fungus Amungus. What do you think of this bassist from California and the rest of the band? (What's his real name?)

2. Incubus rules and so does Dirk. I think his real name is Alex K. (not really sure about how to spell the lastname, so I won't). He some very groovy lines and some great slap chops. The newest album is really good and hope they pop another one out soon. I also really like Dirk's use of distortions on songs (somewhat similar to Tim C.'s use...) because they really give the music a different character and accent parts real well. As for the rest of the band, I also like 'em. Brandon has better than average vocals for a modern rock band (very few actual rock bands nowadays), Jose is a tight drummer with some insane beats, DJ Kilmore seems to add some, but luckily doesn't over do it like I've seen with some other bands, and Mike has some real tripped out and clever guitars on the new CD. Well, that's pickin' my brain. C'ya!

3. Yea this guy is great! My fav song is Anti-Gravity Love song. I like S.C.I.E.N.C.E. most out of every album. Fungus is also great. He has an Warwick Streamer Stage II I believe.

4. Ya mean Warwick!

5. I see warwick =)

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I am an Incubus fan..They are great! And Dirk Lance is cool..(well..duh..)

7. Is the warwick a 5 string or a 4 string?

8. 5 string.

9. yup if you go to the Warwick bass survival site they have interviews with him, they might be a little hard to find but read all the small links!!!

and yeah he is great

10. Incubus rules. I saw them open for Black Sabbath reunion tour. They blew Sabbath and Pantera out of the water!

11. I first saw them at Family Values '98 with rammstein, orgy, and korn. They owned the pits! That got me to buy S.C.I.E.N.C.E. then I also saw them at the Taproot, Incubus, Deftones show. They owned. Too many chicks on Brandon's balls. I hate it. I'm there to enjoy the music and he gets the hoes. lol

12. by chance does anyone know when they are coming to Pittsburgh next? Just wondering when cause I'll be there.

13. his real name is Alex Katunich. BTW Incubus rocks.

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yes they DO rock!! Dirk Lance kix ass :) I saw their "Drive" video and he used a "Warwick Infinity Series" Bass (the one with the hollow body) I hear that he uses that bass for Studio work as well.. I think he used a Streamer Stage I.. not the II like P-nut and Sam Rivers, I think he used the Stage I. Whichever way, great basses and great player! even doh i like the bass lines from older incubus's stuff(Fungus Amongus)

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He only uses SIIs DM, and hes pretty adamant about it.

16. Yep, he uses Stage Streamer II's. Actually Sam Rivers currently plays with a Stage Streamer I. He did use a Stage Streamer II on Limp's latest effort, but guess who's bass that was...none other than Dirk's. They know each other somehow and Dirk lent Sam one of his basses. And those are the facts of life...

17. Dirk is really a great bass player, and of course the rest of the band is really talented too. I like Enjoy Incubus and Fungus Amongus the best, just cuz they would play something really jazzy or funky, and then suddenly turn it into a metal vibe. I still need to get S.C.I.E.N.C.E., then I'll have all their albums.

18. EllipsisPOKE

EllipsisPOKE

Apr 1, 2001
    Dirk is a true bassist. He does not try to flaunt what he can do (i.e. Mudvayne's bassist, Ryknow). He flows and keeps things full. He uses a fretless bas on "Nowhere Fast." He goes off on "Speak Free." P_Nut from 311 is also one of me favs.