Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirk Lance

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Riley R, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    What ever happened to that guy, he was such a great player in Incubus, it was like he was the backbone of that band. They definitily arent as good without him, IMHO it would be awesome for him to come back, what do you guys think?:bassist:

2. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've been wondering this myself. I always liked his playing on the Incubus albums and like you said Riley, he was the backbone of that band.

3. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    have you seen the DVD with the time lapse video of there recording session at that huge mansion, it seems as if he was the one driving the creativity, it definity shows in there last album with the new guy, because it is not even as technical as the first 3. I wonder if He is doing anything now?

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    When He played with them the music was very different. Fungus Amungus of course had a much different style than anything else. But beyond that, what he played on morning view, science, and make yourself: The bassline either lays back behind the guitar and supports it while playing a simpler role, or on songs such as are you in lays down the groove for the song while mike plays around on top.

I Loved Dirk's PLaying, but I'm coming around more and more with Ben. I really like the newer stuff like sick sad little world, where there's some cool riffage and doubling going on. Ben has a cool tone and uniquq style too. He has a cool approach to the older songs too, like on drive. Check out live at the red rocks for his treatment there. I'm definitely enjoying the change in the band, and though I miss Dirk and his playing....I'm coming around more and more every listen. I dig Ben style, tone, and influence on the band.

That said, last I heard Dirk was working making songs for video games???? Correct????

5. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Ya Incubus will always rock, but Dirk has always kinda been my hero, I love songs like Battlestar Schralactica(spelling
    ), the bass and drum fills in that song are some awesome, you know that took some work.

6. I miss him...when I smoke a doob and put on Are You In I'm in heaven :D

7. they are both amazing players, dirk left the band over creative differances. i don't think that he would really fit the new incubus as well as ben does. at fist i was a little hesitent on ben, but i have come around, hes a very good bass player, and an even better guitarist. not to mention that he can play a mean drum as well

lowsound

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    There was a thread on this a while back. The video game thing (stickman) hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere stranglely. The last update on the site was over two years ago.

Kinda sad, as alex was a bit influence on me, and now I don't know where the hell he is.

I too enjoy Ben's playing.. Although IMO he butchers old songs most of the time =/

Also, the new Incubus has lost me as a fan for good I think. I'll listen to anything up to and including SOME of ACLOTM.. but that other stuff they released... ergh.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really dig Alex's tone with his Warwick, but I don't seem to be able to dig him musically, as much as I try. I'd like to hear him with a band like, say, Faith No More or whatever, because I can't stand Incubus songs.

That said, I still prefer him to Ben.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Alex's idea about starting Stickman was a good one, but in the end, he and his partner had a pretty poor business plan with regards to the video-gaming industry.

You see, what has become a popular avenue for many bands is to pre-release singles on certain video games. This has proven to be quite a win-win for both band and video game. Alex was trying to assemble some pretty good muscians together to make music for video games, but the music was pretty anonymous with no vocals and what had sounded to be many looped parts. Now, had Alex gotton with these various muscians and used to the video games as an avenue to release an actual band project, he probobly would have been succesful, but instead he chose to go in the other other direction, and the fans of anonymous video game music is a pretty small number. I'm pretty sure that Stickman is pretty much finished as a result.

So what is Alex doing now?...I don't know, but I wouldn't put it past him to be a hired studio hand for many popular artists. He was doing it in the past, so it wouldn't suprise me that he just ended up doing that instead.

It's too bad that Alex isn't a part of Incubus anymore. He truely was the creative influence behind the band. Ben is a decent player, but he just isn't in the same league technicly at all, and subsequently, Incubus has really gone downhill as a result. Actually though, I think that Ben is perfect for the band's current direction right now. They're going for a pretty "vanilla" sound right now, and I think Ben is suited just fine to be the supportive guy in the backround not really trying to do anything special.

11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Dirk is an awesome bassist, he was one of my biggest influences and his basslines turned me on to funk. Ben Kenney, however great he is at guitar and drums is nowhere near the standard of Dirk on bass. I saw them at Reading Festival with Dirk and at Wembley Arena with Ben and there was a huge difference in the whole feel of the music. In the verse of A Certain Shade of Green Ben muted the strings and strummed the bass with a pick. That's a huge improvement on the original bassline :rolleyes:

I liked the direction they were going in up until Dirk leaving. Morning View was an album I enjoyed a lot because even though Dirk wasn't tearing it up he grooved like a beast and knew when to pull out the fancy stuff and when to hold back. I find it very hard to sit and listen to ACLOTM. The songs just aren't as good...

Damn shame.

12. My freinds sister married him.....

That is all.....

13. Alex aka: Dirk, is an agressive player while Ben is more on the mellow side,they're both good players for sure, but you're forgetting something,Ben is a guitar player...booo! lol
    i saw them live here on PR ,it wasn't bad ,but it felt like there was something missing.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It ain't the change in bass players that ruined Incubus for me, it was Brandon Boyd. Ben is an AMAZING musician. He and his 2 brothers ruled the local music scene for a while in Jersey. His playing differs from Alex', and I do miss the Warwick growl, but once Brandon started reading his own press, it seemed like the songs started going in a Brokeback kind of direction, just so he can live up to his new found "sex symbol" status. Megalomaniac was okay, but still kinda soft.

15. I'm not sure about blaming Ben for anything. Mike changed to a Fender Jazzmaster guitar which IMO with its tiny sound only works for a few songs. Jose seems to really like banging normal rock'n'roll beats now. Brandon started liking singing above the song, not inside it. Then, the bass sound changed completely as well. But the rest of the band changed independently. That's the way I see/hear it.