Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirk to join Jamiroquai?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    With the recent departure of Jamiroquai's bassist Nick Fyffe, there are rumours that Alex Katunich (Dirk Lance)may be his replacement. not sure how much truth there is in this.... but it should be interesting.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think Jamiroquai - as such - exists any more! :( If you go to the official Jamiroquai website it comes up with titles that say it is Jay Kay's official website! :meh:

Sop basically it is JK and whoever he decides to hire temporarily to back him!

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    It has said 'Jay Kay's official website!' for over a year.... even when stuart was in the band JK would introduce himself as 'Jamiroquai' as in 'Hi, im Jamiroquai' not 'Hi, im JK for Jamiroquai'

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Damn :(
    Yeah, i figured something like that would happen eventually. id say to a few freinds that i like Jamiroquai and they'd reply "yeah, he is cool, i like some of his stuff".

Ah well. If Dirk/Alex did back up JK, it would pretty damn interesting to say the least.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It really sickens me to see one man's ego ruin such a brilliant band. Simon Carter, who also played keyboards in the band, left to play for Craig David. When you look at all of the people that left the band, you have to look at Jay and wonder, "WTH?!" Remember, Toby left to spend time with his family, but almost a month after he left he was playing for someone else. I remember talking to members of the band years ago, and them telling me crap like Jay taping off little sections on the stage, and telling them not to leave that space, him taking a limo while the rest of them rode in a van, :rolleyes: and let's not mention the crap I heard from Stu and Simon Katz.

6. although i've liked the band for quite a while now, i only bought my first jamiroquai album yesterday (emergency on planet earth), and after reading what JK writes in the album book about how important karma is, it's hard to believe that the same man can act like this, it really is sad :(

Tom

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    TRUE

and he wonders why people think he's an arrogant tw@t

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm a huge Jamiroquai fan (both Stu and Nick era) and I dig the last couple Incubus releases...

This should be interesting

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It would be cool if he went back to Stu. Maybe they'd finish the tracks to the original Synchronized.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That'd be cool! More so though, I'd like a chance to see Jay and Stu together on the stage in person.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - sort of like - Celebrity Death Match? ;)

(Police later verified that the murder weapon was, bizarrely, a 5-string Warwick bass guitar)

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It is sad, and as someone pointed out there, it's difficult to imagine that the Jay K we read about now is the same Jay K that wrote those Emergency On Planet Earth liner notes.

As much as I love Jamiroquai, I think maybe it's time to throw in the towel... I'd much rather Jay stopped making Jamiroquai albums now than carrying on and getting worse and worse.

Leave it at five, Jay...

13. dirk in Jami?? DONT F***!!! :eek:

Well.. It could be cool.. But I don't believe it.

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    From knowing Alex(Dirk), I can't see him wanting to be in this situation with Jamiroquai. He and Jay would clash about as much as Stu and Jay. From a musical point of view though, Alex would be an excellent fit. We'll see what happens.

15. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Bring back Stuart Zender. If you listened to those albums he was on ("Emergency...", "...Space Cowboy", "Travelling..."), you could tell the many different influences in his playing; everything from Bernard Edwards, to Nathan Watts to Louis Johnson to Marcus Miller (and more!). That was very refreshing in that band. And Derrick McKenzie's four-on-the floor drumming!!!!

My only question is whether Dirk would be a good fit?

How did Dirk leave Incubus? Peace.

16. what happened to Nick Fyffe?

did he leave of his own accord or was he fired, and what does he plan to do now?

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Alex would be an amazing fit! He defintley has that funk vibe going on, although you might not have noticed it on the last couple albums.

As for why he left, the band and he were going in two different directions. As you may have noticed, Incubus' last two albums were a lot different from their first three. They became more vocal heavy, and they lost a bit of their funky edge. They quit playing all their old songs where Alex showed off his stuff, so he kind of saw the writing on the wall and decided to part ways on his own accord.