Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dirnt P Bass: The New Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Sep 13, 2005.

1. yes yes, blasphemy, unheard, insane, etc etc. but think about it for a second. i've noted a lot of people in TB and just in general happen to own a Mike Dirnt P-Bass(including myself). and whats there to say? the things pretty damn versitile. it sounds great with a pick, playing fingers, and it slaps well to boot. the les paul started out as a simple signature guitar, and look what its become now? could the dirnt have the same luck?

p.s. yes i know it sounds very noobish, but i have played my fair share of basses, and the dirnt is damn well rounded for a bass of its status/price/period.

2. No.

The Geddy Lee, more than likely. Maybe even the Marcus Miller.

The Dirnt, no.

Definitely, definitely not.

Definitely not.

3. thing is, popularity sells. not many of the kids my age would know(much less give a damn) who geddy or marcus are. hell, they wouldn't care who jaco is either :scowl: sad but true. green day is big with the kids, it plays well to others, it sells.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    sp=pastorius

5. I say it'll be the Mark Hoppus sig

Wait for it

Wait for it

Now
    JOKE :rollno:

6. I disagree, I feel the squier is the next les paul.

:-D

7. I must say as owning a mike dirnt P it is a very verstile bass. although I think it could be kind if it has a PJ set up. I know alot of people like active PU or pre/eq, but personally I hate them. but their is something about a jazz bass that I find very comfortable the fat man gut cut out :). the skinny neck (geddy sig) but thier is a time when the Pbass sound is what you need. and the mike dirnt bass covers all grounds pretty well for being all passive. but to each his own and what ever floats your boat or tickles your pickle is up to you

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, in the electric guitar world there are pretty much three ways go to: Tele, Strat or Les Paul/SG.

In the electric bass world, there's jazzes and precisions. Maybe a Stingray is in the place of a Paul if anything.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Doubt it. The bongo will be the next les paul...

Or any other of the old MM with the new configurations.

10. Daisy rock bass... for sure... :bassist:

:eyebrow: what an odd topic

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wait, I got the Les Paul of Basses:

[​IMG]

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    It's too similar to a P bass to be it's own famous instrument. It's a P at heart. Plus not that many people love it and it'll be discontinued in a few years anyway.

13. I prefer my Ibby P over my Dirnt P.

14. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i personally don't liek the dirnt. way too heavy for my tastes and it feels really punky... i like my basses more well rounded. i like the geddy lee a lot more.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Bongo...yeah right!

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The Bongo is the Swiss Army Knife of the bass world.

I have a Dirnt P and it's one of the best Ps I've played in ten years or so, but....it's still "just" a P bass.

17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's also the toilet seat of the bass world.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You win the originality award.

19. to blow that point to smithereens...what kid (even 20 years ago) gives (or gave as the case may be) a damn about who Les Paul is or was?

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Are you from the Department of Redundancy Department?

Really. I don't care anymore, but it's embarrassing for you.