1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dirnt sig model.... MIM or MIJ..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greengoblin, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Just wondering as a local store has a left over Dirnt model thats MIM, but I thought I read somewhere that sig models are MIJ....

Were older models MIM and newer models MIJ? (saw one on the net that was supposedly MIJ)

I gas'd for a MIA(new standard) Jazz after I played one a few weeks back... But played a MIM Dirnt Saturday and I really liked the sound...

Just wondering if there was a mfg location change along the way or what?

2. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    MIM, for sure.

The actual version of that bass from the 80's is MIJ.

3. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    WAIT

My bad, I thought you were talking about the Duff signature. Forget everything I've said.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    :confused: Wasn't Mike Dirnt was in diapers in the 80's??? :p

What bass are you referring to by "actual version?"

5. from wiki

Mike Dirnt (born Michael Ryan Pritchard on May 4, 1972, in Rodeo, California)

he was at least 8 in the 80's :D

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    He was born in '72, and I don't know of many 8 year olds who wear diapers. Who knows, maybe he had bladder control issues?

To my knowledge, his bass has been a MIM from the start...I doubt they would switch production to Japan.

7. He was born in 72 so he wasn't in diapers in the 80's.... ;)

8. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I thought this thread was about the Duff McKagan sig :help::D

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    sheesh...:rollno:

the Dirnt's, when first introduced, as the same with just about all the signature models, were MIM. yes, the Geddy was at one time an MIM, as was the Sting.
    but a couple of years ago they shifted the sig. models to MIJ's. good move on Fender's part.
    so you can find an MIM Dirnt, or Sting, or Geddy. but beware, because IMO they're not as well made as the MIJ's.

and how can you play the Dirnt? he's got a baseball bat for a neck! ick!

10. haha. We all posted the same info. :D

I thought a plant change would be odd, but seems like most sig models are MIJ models... *shrug*

This one on Ebay clains to be MIJ: Ebay link

11. The thick neck was a bit odd.. I do like the Geddy neck alot too... This Dirnt I played was MIM and had flaws.. Enough to the point that I wouldn't buy it unless they took off quite a bit of cash... The first tuner ferrel(sp?) was coming out of the head. There were some cover ups/fixes with black paint... The neck was bowed around the 7th fret or so.. But still played nice..

I just liked the sound of it and the tele head.. :bassist:

12. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i have to repeat, because i'm afraid the useful information i'm providing might get lost in the fray of nonsensical ramblings about the difference between Mike Dirnt and Duff McKagan

most or all sig's were MIM, but a few years ago they did switch them all to MIJ.

13. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    so did i. i liked the look, the sound, the styling, but i couldn't get around that neck! it just wasn't worth trying to tame a flagpole! so i got the '51 RI. not quite the same sound, but a great sound none-the-less, and the same great look and style (assuming you can get over the lack of upper arm contour. doesn't bother me much when i'm standing.)

14. They have one at my local GC.. Not a bad bass. I like the maple neck better, but not big on the color... I'll have to try it again next time I am up that way.

15. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'll be honest. not one of my basses i own is in the colour i wanted. i wanted a black Jazz. i ended up with sunburst. i wanted a white P. i ended up with butterscotch. and i didn't really care what colour my fretless P was, i just wanted one.

one thing i've learned is that if it sounds good and feels good, then who cares how it looks. i've come to love the looks of all of my basses (including the "gold overload" fretless P) but i first loved how they felt, and that was more important to me.

16. yeah its a MIM.. big chunky neck.. wasent a fan really..

17. Very true!!! I too prefer black for a bass color, but have considered others... Playability and sound are my main concerns. Just liked the sound from that Dirnt model..