1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dirtiest,Nastiest,Amp Ever?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RoyArnott, Feb 5, 2016.

1. I've had the pleasure of playing through some really high end and really low end amps that did me right when it came to big,loud,nasty tone. My two faves being the SVT Classic and Sunn Beta Bass. What are your experiences with amps that don't need dirt pedals to sound nasty?

2. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Meat smoke!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I owned the dirties nastiest amp ever, and it followed me around with The Nerve for about 10 years. Was a Peavey combo that I ripped the tolex off and covered with beautiful naked women. Lots and lots of them. I posted pictures here a couple of times but they were immediately taken down. I miss that amp. I'd do it again but it wouldn't fit well with the band I play in today.

4. Mesa D180. Not the loudest but easily the dirtiest if you tweak it that way.

Sartori, BassoItaliano and chaosMK like this.
  5. HWHAT?

6. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Ampeg SVT is repulsively filthy. It's the worst I've ever heard.

spaz21387, wmhill and chaosMK like this.
  8. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Orange AD200B

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. stajki

stajki

Mar 26, 2012
    sunn 300t can be pretty dirty.

Sartori and vegas532 like this.
  10. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    That's easy. Tech21 ultra dug amp. Nothing is even close.

11. Ooooh. Never heard of this. Sounds like a sweet amp. 2 channels at once, just like the Beta Bass...but 10 times the wattage and probably ten times the tone, as well. Love Tech 21.

12. Without a doubt a Peavey Mark VI. When I was given it it was filthy dirty. Would operate for a while it would work and then shut off. Opened it up to find it filled with nasty crud. I used my shop vac to clean the thing out and ArmourAll on the cabinet. The faceplate I removed and put it on a short wash in the dishwasher that cleaned the thing quite nicely. Reassembled the unit and it work just fine. I sent it, eventually, to a TB member that needed it. Febrezze was the final touch.

:D

jp58 likes this.
  13. I think the new Darkglass amp will soon hold this honor.

4StringsEnough and MoeTown1986 like this.
  14. Spector2112

Spector2112

Jan 7, 2011
    Michigan

subsonicbassist and Matt Dean like this.
  15. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    The acoustic 370 gets really distorted when pushed. The svt classic as well, but both at very high volumes.

Slough Feg Bass and jj4001 like this.
  16. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Marshall Major

Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special

Peavey VB-2, VB-3, VB-MA

Lots of different guitar amps

Arizona Jones likes this.
  17. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The old Acoustics have a tapered volume pot that give you more volume up to 12 o'clock, then pure fuzz heaven past that.

18. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Simms Watts AP-100

19. Buszkock

Buszkock

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Why do you play in a church? ;)

Joe Nerve and 1stnamebassist like this.
  20. I used a Sunn Model T on a record a couple years ago, and it got me some nice nasty.

Sartori likes this.