Dirty DI/Amp sim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Sep 25, 2019.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    Hey guys
    I've been out of the gear loop for a bit...whats hot in the way of dirtier bass DI's right now.
    Pedal format preferred.
    Sansamp bass DI
    Darkglass stuff?
    MXR M80
    Rusty BOX

Any other players in that game I should be looking at? Looking for filthy tone. Mid heavy. direct to PA. Open to Boutique. Not terribly worried about price (within reason).

2. Not sure how hot it is, and definitely not boutique, but my Behringer BDI21 has never failed me. Cut the bass back for mids. $30.

3. I am used to gear before the current pre-packed era. If I need a saturated bass amp in a box sound i reach for my Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery V2 and plug that into a passive DI. Oodles and Boodles of Big Phat Slamming Bass In Yo Face for Daze and Days.

knumbskull likes this.
  4. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    I think newer DG Vintage Ultra ticks all your checkboxes - DI, cab sim, mid heavy dirt flavour and separate 4 band EQ with parametric lo and hi mids

And "price is no issue" checkbox too ;)

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Tried most things going and have come back full circle to the VTDI after finding a new way to set it. Character at 3 o'clock for a vicious hi mid boost before the clipping, then a mid cut and backing the blend below noon to redress the balance. I also have the YYZ for an alternative flavour, although it doesn't have a DI out.

The Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra is also worthy. I'd choose that over the Vintage any day.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I like to use a VT Deluxe since it has presets that I can use for clean or filthy and will last forever on a rechargeable battery.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Darkglass Ultra series pedals are pretty awesome and probably my fav. The Sansamp VT bass DI is a mainstay and can’t go wrong with.

The new EBS microbass 3 has caught my eye and ear from the sound samples I’ve heard. You can run a clean and dirty out from it so that’s cool and sounds really good in the demos I’ve heard.

8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I would at least audition some of the latest generation Tech 21 offerings - the current BDDI model is quite a bit different than the last generation and the VT Bass series of products are very nice. That said, there are a lot of great boxes out there to suit most any taste (some already mentioned), but Tech 21 products have served me well in the reliability and tone department for a long time.

JimmyM and hbabels like this.
  9. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    I've got the v2? BDDI. Pre mid knobs/switches. It's treated me well. Is the new version drastically different with the mid circuit?

May need to try the darkstuff stuff again.

I'm touring pretty heavily these days. The last tour DI saved my butt more than once so just checking I'm not missing on anything I need.

What about something like the omni cab SIM?