1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dirty, growly bass sound.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blacka, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Blacka

Blacka

May 30, 2012
    Manchester
    I'm working with a singer who has asked for "A really nasty dirty growly kinda sound from the bass". Even though it's hard to describe sounds sometimes, what effect do people think I need to achieve this? Fuzz, overdive, distortion? It's not a rock album I might add, it's just a couple of tracks but the overall sound is sort of electro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Gated fuzz can go really well with electo stuff. Iron Ether Oxide is sick for that sound.

3. + 1 on Alec's post, nice for synth sounds.

You could also give a try with a Boss ODB-3. It's not too expensive and it offers some very growly modern distortions. Also it has a blend knob.

Everyone loves the Darkglass B3K so I guess you could listen its possibilities on the net too. I do like what I heard but never had a chance to try one so...

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Listen to castrovalva donut on YouTube, I think that is exactly what you looking for, shep got detail on what distortion he used. Check out shep blog, sorry no link using phone now

5. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Your best bet would be find a couple sound clips, gated fuzz sound, overdrive sound, fuzz etc. in music and just play him the songs and see what he says. When i hear/say 'nasty, dirty, growly" i think cranked tube amp/overdrive, not so much fuzz. Just a dirty blown speaker power-tube distorted overdriven amp kinda thing. Death From Above kinda cranked sound.

6. I use a Proco Deucetone Rat which is two rats in one box. Each has a slider onteh back for vintage/turbo/dirty or vintage/turbo/clean. I run one side as a cleanish rat which makes the bass alot more middy and adds a little sparkle and grit. The other side is total crushing overdrive for when the tune demands it. I have a lot of other pedals, but I use this one 9 times out of 10. Most of the boutique pedals I have are just too touchy for live use. The knobs only line up in one part of the range to sound any good.
    Though I will say that Death by Audio "supersonic fuzz gun" does have some neat tricks up its diecast sleeves.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Start with a bass that has real good growly crunchy voice. This will be via the pups mainly and the woods used to accent that. Add overdrive of choice and if wanting a bit of synth like bass char add low set ring mod. As my solution. Bass with no growl or crunch wont give you any kind of good start to dirty growly voice imo. Marshall govner and proco rat are two of my fave seperate pedals. They work best when used in pairs stacking one into the other. Lol.

8. After trying a ss/bs TAFM, that is the pedal that comes to mind when I think of growl/dirt.

Very versatile pedal. I was able to get good overdrive, distortion and fuzz from that one pedal.

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    A-c-t-i-v-e pickups!