1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dirty neck. Does this look normal to you?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, May 10, 2006.

1. I've had trouble with this ever since I gigged for a week in a very dusty environment. I lightly sanded the neck about 18 months ago and then lemon oiled it, and I lemon oil it about every 8 - 12 months I suppose. Is it normal for the neck to look this dirty? I can't get it any cleaner than this. (the first 3 frets just got lemon oiled that's why they are a little darker)

[​IMG]

2. Hmmm maple is usually finished, correct? Maybe the finish was worn off by the sanding and never replaced? Lemon oil is a cleaning and drying agent, not a substitute for a finish (if I'm correct). Tung oil might be a better choice?

3. Actually I think the Stingray's have un unfinished maple board...

What I meant to say in the original post was that I gigged in a dirty environment about 2 years ago and since then the fretboard has looked like this. It was only after it got this dirty that I sanded it (with steel wool, not sandpaper). I can't seem to ever get it cleaner than this.

And yes, I followed the advice on the EBMM FAQ about cleaning maple boards. Lemon oil doesn't really seem to clean very well and I certainly don't want to sand with steel wool again - it helped a little the first time, but I don't want to have to kep doing it.

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Ernie Bal does not put a finish on their maple boards. They usually use an oil finish and it tend to build up grime pretty quickly. I usually try to scrape the board or wipe it down with some naptha. It is a normal occurence and I say just leave it, Its part of the instruments character.
    I generally don't use lemon oil on maple boards finished or not.

5. +1 on naptha, great stuff

6. rkmullen

rkmullen rkmullen ricks repairs

Jun 18, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    use 0000 steel wool and a product called 'liquid gold"

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ernie Ball necks ARE finished,it is a gun stock and oil finish. Sanding will remove this,and an oil finish of some sort probably should have been re applied when you did that.

Just because they do not use the normal finish like other brands does not mean that their necks are completely unfinished. That is false. Normal EBMM necks do not look like yours. They tend to darken with age,but they do so gracefully.

8. +1 - I have an old issue of bassplayer, where they go through process of building a Stingray at the Ernie Ball factory, and I remember reading this too.. hey Figgy:) (fellow Poughkeepsian)

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are you a former poughkeepsian? Hows florida treatin ya?

10. Yes, I was a Poughkeepsian for a originally, but I've been here for 18 years now...

FL's ok - 'cept the hot, hot summers - I've yet to go through one with a car that has A/C yet!:eek: (I blast my ac to 69* at night though, and always keep it at 78* during the day for my basses:) )

I love the ocean, and fishing though(FL is great for that), and the other 3 seasons are quite pleasant - the good part about the summer here? Bikinis, of course.:D

11. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    What do you use instead of Lem oil? I don't think we have napta/naptha in holland (or someone translate that for me :D )
    what's so bad about lemon oil? will it remove the finish?

12. Naptha is cigarette lighter fluid..for a Zippo lighter. It is liquid, not gas (butane).