1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dirty New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BadMonk, Oct 19, 2006.

1. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Wanting to try something different, I bought sets of SIT Silencers, D'Addario Halfwounds, and GHS Pressurewounds. The SITs are nice right out of the box, for the price. Same deal with GHS. Anyway, I digress... After stringing the DAds I swear my hands felt grimey and sticky. Washed up, played some more but same grimey feeling came back. Wiped them down with alcohol...which left streaks of black junk on the rag. This is the second time this has happened with brand new DAd's...flatwounds before this. It's a little irritating to me because they're definitely dirty and need to be cleaned up before using them. Anybody else experience this? Is this not unusual?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's from the polishing process. Just wipe the strings down before you put them on, and you're fine.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    How would you rate the three? I use SIT silencers and wonder how they compare to the other two.

4. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Can't beat the Silencers for the price. They sound and feel good to me but, to my ear, they're a little brite. Of course, I expect that will change over the next week or so as they get broken in. I def would buy them again.

I didn't want to like the D'Ads but I think they sound and feel best (after cleaning them up). They don't have a sticky feel like the flats - Chromes - and don't have the same brightness of rounds, pretty much what I've been looking for. The GHS are a close second...but I hear they go south pretty quick.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Silencers are very tuff. My last set was on my 5 string for 8 months before i thought the E lost a bit of bite and changed them. I kept the set and picked up an old squier P/J a few weeks ago to mod and put the old silencers on it...man they sound and feel like flats...very nice. The silencers are best after a week or two of playing.... they get better with age.