1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dirty pot - clean or replace?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoFrets4Me, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I have a Tobias (Gibson) Growler 5-string fretless and I've been noticing that the main volume control is getting a bit "crunchy" (annoying static noise when turning the knob through a particular range).

Is there some way that I can clean the pot or do I need to replace it? Any other ideas or suggestions?

(This seems like Pickups & Electronics 101, but I didn't see anything in the FAQ or Search.)

Thanks for your help.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ide say you just buy a new bass.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    no, go down to a music store and buy Deoxit, spray that in the pot. twist it a lot to work it in there. If that doesn't work, then replace it. The Deoxit is always good to have around anyways

4. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i would say try to clean it first then try to replace it. the reason i say that is because if its dirty.. there might be reasons why it would get dirty again and constantly replacing is going to cost more then buying cleaner.

only time i have/needed to replace pots are when the shaft gets damaged

5. Thanks guys. I'll give that a try.